Chapter 3: The Calm Before the Storm

Start from the beginning

"You're always welcomed to our home, Elton." Sarah smiled warmly, her arms enveloping her nephew into a hug. "Even if it's all the way in Louisiana now."

When was the last time his parents even hugged him? They were always busy with work. The closest he could remember was his mom giving him a chaste hug during his Senior Year Graduation Day.

It's been so long since someone's hugged him like that...EJ can't help but hug his aunt back.

"Nice place you own, Uncle Ben." The older teen complimented, looking around the old hotel. It looked a bit (ok, a lot) rundown but Ten has shown them all pictures of what the Tremont Hotel used to look like back in the day.

"It's not much now, but with a little work this place will be as great as it was." Ben replied with a smile, looking around the old hotel with a rather proud expression.

"The architecture is impressive though." Ten mumbled, as Cress nods in agreement. The two teens admired the inner part of the hotel with curiosity.

"Maybe we could help out around here? I mean we are kinda intruding on your home, so we might as well work to earn our keep." EJ suggested with a mildly hopeful smile.

"Nonsense, you're family. You never have to 'earn your keep' around here. This applies to your friends too." Ben shook his head. "But I do appreciate your offer to help out."

"I brought some housewarming gifts." EJ gave his uncle a tiny smile, holding out a bouquet of flowers for his aunt. There was also a smaller bouquet for his cousin Zoey.

"He dragged us into a shopping spree on the way here." Ten informed, before he nodded politely at the older couple. "Good to see you again, Mr and Mrs Campbell."

"The rest of the gifts are in the trunk." EJ looked over his shoulder at his car.

"Where are Griffin, Wyatt and Zoey?" The tall teen looked around for his younger cousins.

"Upstairs, they'd be so excited to see you." Sarah replied.

"Kids, come down here," Ben called out. "We have a surprise for you!"

The three older teens could hear pitter-patter footsteps walking down the stairs.

"Unless dad decides for us to move back to Chicago last minute, I highly doubt this is a good surprise." An older sounding child grumbled out loud, still feeling grumpy that he has to move far away from Chicago to somewhere new.

"Maybe it's a puppy!" A girl's voice wondered thoughtfully.

"Or a new bike!" A boy suggested.

The voices got louder as three figures descended from the stairs and noticed the guests.

"EJ!" A boy with brown hair (the oldest among the three kids) grinned.

"Best surprise ever!" A little boy with red hair beamed at their older cousin.

"COUSIN CUDDLE PILE!" A little girl squealed in glee.

"Wait no Zoe, I'm still holding my bags-!" EJ yelped.

Before EJ could react, his three cousins had launched themselves at the older boy like human torpedos. Wyatt and Zoey grabbed onto his left and right arm respectively. While their older brother Griffin launched himself onto EJ's back, holding onto his shoulders.

"I missed you too, buds." EJ laughed.

"Aww, that's so cute." Cress was in a fit of giggles, she can't get over how adorable and affectionate EJ's younger cousins were to him.