ᴏɴᴇ ʜᴜɴᴅʀᴇᴅ ꜰɪꜰᴛᴇᴇɴ

TW: SEXUAL ASSAULT

𝗧here was sap on his window

Sitting like a blob. Transparent and uninvited.

It was the only thing Mason could focus on as he stared out the windshield, one hand gripping the steering wheel, the other supporting his head on his leaning elbow. Trees passed, waving their hellos and goodbyes. The bracelet he'd never taken off hung loosely on his wrist, peeking out from underneath the sleeve of his suit.

He kept replaying the conversation in his head.

Kept regretting taking his rings off.

It'd been heated. A dramatic exchange. Now his left hand felt cold and weightless, like it was missing something that was always supposed to be there, rather than something he'd only owned for a few days. Kai had looked so defeated, kneeling in the sand. Positively juked—like what was happening was nothing more than a rug being pulled out from underneath his sneakers.

Only the funny part was, he was wearing roller-blades.

Mason breathed through his nose. Inhaled and exhaled a ritual as the words swarmed his mind. The shitty radio buzzed like background noise to his dissociation. He wondered how long it would be until they pulled into the Emergency Room of the nearest hospital. He wondered what made his husband change so decisively—to settle for the one person he loathed most in this world.

How revulsion could turn into lust.

They always said there was a blurred line between love and hate.

Mason had never believed it before now.

"Do you know how much longer it's going to be?" Maverick asked to his right, his voice muffled by the bled-threw napkins still pressed to his broken nose.

"Less than ten minutes."

Mason didn't take his eyes away from the sap.

He stared at it, marveling at the phenomenon of something so fucking annoying, but still ever-present. Appearing out of thin air, from a tree that hadn't even introduced itself. It felt much like him. Mason was windshield washer fluid, desperately and pathetically trying to scrap the remnants of his past off his future. He wanted clarity. Maverick wanted to blind him.

Maverick was much like the sap. Unsolicited. Indispensable.

Mason was doing the nice thing of driving him to the hospital even though the bubble of hatred curdling in his stomach acid continued to hiss the longer he sat next to him. He was invading his space. Returning his animosity to the atmosphere.

Kai was the one who'd broken his vows, but Maverick was no better. He was an adulterer. He wanted Kai. He spoke as if he'd always desired a night between his sheets. But like the spineless sap he was, he clung to windshields and prayed to be listened to. Prayed to be an innocent victim when really he was an annoying cluster of gummy fucking sap unable to let him move on. A mass of sap that wanted to be the center of attention in a world he crafted out of his treachery.