Chapter 75: What Dreams Are Made Of

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry about that, he loves me," Daniel assured them, a nonchalant shrug falling off his shoulders when he looked at the door again.

"Besides, what's the worst thing that could happen? Detention?" he muttered the word with an ironic tremble then grinned at all of them. "James is still finishing off the detention from Slughorn for dyeing Snape's uniforms gold and red."

"However did you even manage that?" Sirius inquired, most intrigued, almost impressed. He'd never succeeded sneaking into Slytherin's common room.

"You snogged that Guinevere girl, didn't you?" Remus playfully slapped James' shoulder and made him grin widely while he nodded.

That seemed to surprise Daniel greatly. His eyebrows furrowed "Guinevere? What about Evans? Weren't you whining over her giving you the cold shoulder again last week?"

James immediately straightened up and pointed a threatening finger at him, "You watch it, Jester. You bring up Evans, I bring up Nash."

"Oh, no. What did you do to her this time, Daniel?" asked Remus worriedly.

He cocked an eyebrow, showing by his expression he wasn't sharing his concern, "It's not my fault she's pretty when she gets mad."

"She'll never go out with you if you keep pissing her off."

"Let me worry about that, Moony," Daniel clapped his shoulder, gave his hair a friendly ruffle. "I know what I'm doing."

They were all so engrossed in the teasing of Daniel and James about Lily and Lyana that they didn't notice the two girls actually making their way towards the classroom, they usually came in early, a detail Daniel had forgotten.

Only Sirius, who was quite fond of chaos, had caught the red of Lily's hair. It was already too late when he tapped Daniel's arm, "Speaking of, isn't that Evans and Nash?"

Lyana entered the room, Lily following a few steps behind. Lyana  was turned to her with a bright smile, talking about whatever book they were reading.

Before Daniel react, the wine poured over Lyana's head, making her scream in fright and fall to the ground. She'd pushed Lily out of the way, the instinct of protecting her best friend kicking in at the first sign of trouble, but now her robes and hair were drenched, her parchments and notebooks scattered across the floor.

"Now, she'll definitely never go out with you, mate," snickered James quietly, squeezing his shoulder. Daniel gripped onto the wall and stared in horror at the scene, he started to hit his head repeatedly on the wall.

"Are you alright? Godric, what was that?" Lily asked her in panic, scanning the door frame they were under. "Who would be stupid enough to set up wine above a door—" When she asked that question, they heard a snort not far from them. Lyana sent her a look and they both knew who it was.

She took a deep breath and pouted, pushing her now wet hair out of her face while categorizing in her mind the different hexes, slurs and curses she could throw at them. "MCCAULEY!"

Her feet made a splash when she stepped up, and Lily backed away with a wince, careful to hold her robes up, "I love you, L, but I'll support you from afar on this one."

Lyana squinted angrily only for a second at her, she wasn't the one she was after. "McCauley! You unbelievable prick!"

Daniel had his back pressed against the wall, he'd slapped the back of James' head when he gave them away by laughing. His eyes were squeezed shut and his stomach all in knots, breathing in and out pure desperation.