Chapter 3: Trip down Diagon Alley

Sarah and Remus had been walking on Diagon Alley for a handful of hours. They stopped to check her Hogwarts acceptance letter she'd received at the end of July.

"We almost got everything. Do you want a pet?" Remus asked to which Sarah nodded fiercely.

"Alright Sarah darling, we'll then go to the last but the most important purchase, your wand." He smiled sweetly at her, incredulous at the speed at which she's growing up. She wasn't his biological daughter but in his eyes, there was no difference, in fact it was even better. He couldn't bestow upon her his monthly torment, his curse. She was safe. And... looking at a screech owl. It seemed to like her.

When she approached it, she slid her hand in between the cage barriers and stroked it gently. That species of owls was rarely sociable with others and Sarah and that animal had formed a bond. He knew that it was the perfect companion for her.

He walked to her, picked up the owl and went inside to discuss with the merchant. Meanwhile she looked around the street, the busy parents and their children running around, collecting their supplies. Her mind went to the Weasleys and to Molly, at how busy she must be. She made a mental note to ask Remus to take her to the Burrow to see the twins when they're done collecting everything.

He got out of the shop holding the cage, Sarah jumped up and down, thanking him endlessly.

"You'll have to name it."

"Her. I'll have to name her."

"How do you know it's a her?" Remus gave her a questioning look.

"The color of her plumage is darker than the others and she's also significantly larger," she asserted. "I guessed."

Remus looked a bit stunned "Aren't you eleven? How do you know that?" he chuckled

"Almost twelve," she corrected him, "I read about it."

It isn't news to Remus that she gets countless information from the books he filled their house with. Sarah looks at her owl, thinking she'll name her Athena. She read about her in a mythology book and found the name beautiful.

"Let's go get your wand, now," said Remus, putting a hand on her shoulder.

They walked towards Ollivander's. The bell over the door rang and an old man with white hair stood up straight from behind the counter. "Remus Lupin, how are you?"

Remus gives him a nod to acknowledge his recognition of him "I'm very well, thank you. I don't think you've met my goddaughter."

He gestures to Sarah and she waves at the old man. Sarah looks around the shop, encumbered by what seemed like endless shelves, filled with boxes, where wands were kept.

It was intimidating, marvelous, as well, to see and to know this place. Ollivander was quite the character, Sarah knew that, and he looks at her then back at Remus "The McCauley girl, is she? She's starting school I gather."

Remus nods and Mr. Ollivander disappears into a narrow hallway filled with little rectangular boxes, "Let me see what we have here."

He brings out a box, opens it and gives it to Sarah. She takes it, remembering how Remus had flicked his wand countless times under her gaze. She turns to the window and tries to close the blinds, instead she smashes the window. Remus covers her with his coat and the odd white-haired man falls behind the counter.

Sarah puts the wand down on the desk and back away from it. "I'm sorry," she gives the two men an apologetic look.

"It's alright," said Remus quietly, patting her back gently.