CHAPTER 2

Familiar smell of fresh polish, lavender room freshener made Louis' nose wrinkle, his duffel hung over his shoulders. The door closed behind him as he entered his name in the log book, greeting the receptionist Meredith with a smile and a wave. The long hallway with warm rusty brown wooden walls adorned with certificates and pictures made Louis wish that one day his picture would also be high up on a wall like this. His feet padded through the red carpeted floor as he approached the studio on the ground floor.

He made his way past the group of little excited girls receiving their tutus from the resident coach, Leeroy.

Leeroy was a tall, blond man who liked wearing bright neon clothes. He taught the beginners in the studio on the ground floor. According to Zayn, Leeroy had a crush on Louis. He didn't think so, or he didn't want to believe it. as much as he adored the man for being so endearing and patient with the kids, he wasn't really Louis' type.

He left the clamouring kids to Leeroy, passing Elena's studio. His smile grew as he heard her stern voice guiding the older kids, the music wafting through the sliding door.

Elena was a woman many girls aspired to become one day, slender body, perfect postures and sharp features that made her look intimidating but once you got to know her she's the kindest angel. Her brunette locks were always pulled up in a neat bun with a rose and a perfectly fitted leotard. She'd been a Ballerina all her life, retiring after some complications that had occurred during her third pregnancy, but she could never truly give up Ballet. So she joined their Ballet school as a coach roughly three years ago.

'The Black Dahlia' was started by Bernadette Dawson almost 20 years ago. She was a renowned Ballet dancer, who moved to Hendreld's Hill with her 3 year old son- David- after the sudden death of her husband. For the past two decades she'd been monitoring the Ballet school, with utmost care and precision. Her son had been overlooking the school for the last six months. He too was a Ballet dancer, he and Louis often partnered up to perform for the local theatre.

Over the years, Louis had formed a close friendship with the troupe he was a part of. The first one in was David, he was probably the most beautiful of everyone that worked or trained at the studio. His Hazel eyes wore expressions like a queen wore her crown, every tear glistening as bright as diamond, leaving the audience wanting more.

But David held an innate talent of giving the audience only the right amount, leaving a feeling of greed and want in them. A hunger he knew would be suppressed in the next act, leaving a restless silence and air on the audience.

Off stage David was like a brother figure to him, he knew of Louis' family situation but he or Bernadette never made him feel left out, always kept him like their own family member.

Then there was Taylor, the most headstrong, outgoing and confident woman Louis had ever met. She was the anchor of the group, whenever they had trouble memorising or harmonising a certain act, Taylor never loses hope. She's the first one to give them a pep talk, pumping enthusiasm into them.

Louis connected to her the most in a way, her father left at an early age and her mother raised her. And she raised the most resilient woman, who even though strong was equally vulnerable.

Kendall and Florence were a lot alike, their crazy quotient sometimes worried Louis. All the drunken adventures were always their ideas. Only they could come up with an idea of drinking tequila everytime someone cursed. And of course they ended up crashing in Taylor's apartment with nothing but head splitting headaches, and a hangover that stayed for almost a week.

He changed into his tights, and he was sure a few trainees stared at his bum a minute more than they should've. By the time he made it to the top floor studio, David and Florence were already doing the Barre exercises.

The studio in itself was breathtakingly beautiful. Arched windows with soft tendrils of old creepers hanging along the window, dimly lit lamps and a chandelier in the centre of the arched ceiling. The walls were coloured in an off white shade, intricate patterns on the pillars and ceiling high mirrors on one side of the room.

"Would you like to come to dinner with us babe?" Florence asked as Louis joined them at the Barres.

"I think I'll pass today, I am exhausted from the first day of the semester and I have assignments" He replies and she nods in understanding.

"I heard the Literature department just got daddified?" she speaks with a twinkle in her eyes and Louis rolls his eyes fondly.

"Who got daddified? Last time I checked this town had like three good looking men and two of them are gay" Taylor drops her bag to the floor, sitting down on the floor.

David laughs, shaking his head as Louis shrugs. "We have a new poetry professor, his name's Harry Styles. I think he's new to the town too" he replies.

"Is he hot?" Kendall peeks her head into the room, Louis smiling cheekily.

"Why should I tell you, what's in it for me?"

"We'll buy you Maccies for a week, c'mon Lou this is like the most excitement we have gotten in months"

And even though he was acting indifferent, Louis could see David's subtle perk in attention. Louis shrugged, considering dramatically before going to his phone. He went through the faculty page, handing Taylor the phone as everyone huddled around to have a look.

"HOLY MOLY MOTHER MARY, HOLY JESUS" they shout

"The gang's here" Louis snorts, taking his phone away.

"I thought they stopped making men like that" Kendall says, Florence clicking her tongue in agreement.

"Definitely gay" Taylor hums, "My ability to spot and recognize them isn't restricted to just physical people, it updated to pictures"

"Don't drool David, you have a boyfriend" Florence smirks, David blushing and coughing as he looks away.

"I can already picture those annoying plastic girls going after him to please him and kiss the floor he walks on" Taylor scrunches her nose as Louis chuckles.

"Well, I agree. But he really is great at his work"

"It's been a day Lou, don't go too far off praising him. Whatever you might believe, we all can see your dick clearly in those tights. So just hold 'em horses ma boy" Kendall smirks as he blushes bright red.

David hushes them all, ushering them to practise their routine.

[•]

Louis leaves earlier than usual, picking up his dinner from the small diner. He half expects his father to be home, his hopes crushing immediately at the sight of the empty driveway. He reaches his bedroom, opening the windows for some fresh air.

Halfway through his assignment, a rumble of a car breaks him off the route of his thoughts. He peers over his window, noticing Harry's car pull up in his driveway. He steps out, still in his clothes from the morning.

'Don't the professors leave around 6?' he wonders, nearly about to shrug it off when suddenly Harry turns as if he senses Louis' gaze on him

Louis isn't as quick as he thinks in ducking out of sight and Harry notices.

Harry notices Louis watching him.