chapter thirty-eight

Start from the beginning

"You up for a movie?" she asked, holding her head in her hand and looking up at him. "Help catch you up to the modern world."

"With a movie?" he questioned.

Grace shrugged. "If you want to read the world's history in a book, be my guest," she said, walking over to the couch. "But movies are more fun. And you get to snack a lot."

"What'd you have in mind?" he asked, sitting beside her.

"Well, I was going to suggest a Disney movie but Addy said that I should probably show you something else," she replied, walking over to her chest of movies. "Let's see... we have adventure, romance, musicals, fantasy, all of the above." Grace looked at Steve. "Harry Potter."

"Harry Potter?" he repeated.

She nodded and pulled out the DVD from its sleeve. "You need to watch Harry Potter," she confirmed, sliding it into the DVD player and sitting back down on the couch. "And then you need to read the books."

⸻ ~~~ ⸻

"𝐖𝐀𝐈𝐓, 𝐒𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐃 guy was attached to the back of the other guy's head?" Steve asked at the end of the movie. Grace nodded and he frowned. "That's creepy."

"That's creepy to you?" she questioned, tilting her head. "Coming from the same man who witnessed Johann Schmidt be completely red in the face?"

He shrugged. "Well, at least that was real life." Grace shook her head with a chuckle and tossed the blanket off her lap and onto Steve.

"So, how's everything going at SHIELD?" she asked, replacing the DVD and glancing at the soldier. "I guess everyone's in DC now."

"It's good," he replied and she nodded. "I don't know, I'm mostly staying there because I know you helped found it." She looked back at him and he sighed. "A part of me doesn't know if I fit in with the modern fighting skills. Don't get me wrong, I still want to help people, but I just... I don't know if I'm doing it right."

Grace let out a breath and turned off the TV. "You know, a few months before you were found in the ice, I was visited by someone from the Smithsonian. They wanted to talk to me about an exhibition they were making. For you."

"The Smithsonian wanted to make an exhibition for me?"

She nodded and sat down next to him. "It was meant to showcase your service and sacrifice. I read through the packet. It was all about you, Steve. Sure, some of it was for Captain America, but that's just a title. A name that Senator Brandt gave you. But you did all the hard work. You agreed to basically be a lab rat just for a small chance to serve your country. You freed those men from behind Hydra lines. You crashed the plane so millions wouldn't die." She shrugged. "You don't have to change yourself to fit the modern norms. Just be yourself. That's what made you... well, you."

Steve glanced at her. "Do you think we can ever get back to how we were before I went in the ice?" he asked and she shrugged.

"I think we're already on our way," she said softly before getting an idea. "Hey, do you have any plans for tomorrow?"

He shook his head. "No, why?"

"I have an idea."

⸻ ~~~ ⸻

𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 nurse as she walked the familiar route down the hallway with Steve behind her. "Okay." She paused at the slightly open door and faced Steve. "There's a small chance that she won't remember that you crashed the plane. Or you'll get lucky and she'll remember that I told her you're alive. But... be gentle with her, okay?"

Steve nodded and she nodded in response before knocking softly on the door, poking her head inside with a smile.

"Hi, Peg," she said gently, walking over to the bed where her best friend was. "How are you?"

"Gracie!" Peggy replied with a smile as she sat down. "Have you finally brought Steve to see me? You know I've been begging to see him."

Grace smiled and looked at the doorway. "Well, why don't you see for yourself, Peg?"

"Hi, Peggy," Steve said, joining Grace at the side of the bed. "Thank you for keeping an eye on Grace for me."

Peggy shook her head. "She didn't need to be watched," she told him. "She was doing just fine on her own." Peggy glanced at Grace's neck. "Where are the dog tags? You've never taken them off."

"Back with its rightful owner," Grace said, gesturing to Steve. "We just wanted to see how you were doing, Peg. Maybe give Steve some advice."

"You know I'm not as good as you are at that, Gracie," Peggy contradicted with a shake of her head before looking at Steve. "Just don't let her go this time."

Steve smiled and looked at Grace. "I wasn't planning on it."

Peggy's lips twitched upward when she saw the two of them together again. Grace turned back when she heard her friend start to cough while Steve got her a glass of water. Peggy looked up and her eyes widened at the sight of Steve.

"Gracie..." she said, grabbing her hand. "You came out of your room. That must mean he's back, right? He's truly back?"

Grace sighed and nodded. "He's back, Peg," she confirmed, squeezing her hand.

"Now we just need to find Howard somebody," Peggy said and Grace's face fell. "You can have that family you've always dreamed of, Gracie. He didn't leave you."

Grace pursed her lips. "Yeah." She rubbed Peggy's hand with her thumb and nodded. "Yeah. We're gonna let you get some rest, Peg. I'll be by later, okay?"

"Welcome home, Steve."

Grace closed the door softly behind her and let out a breath, wiping at the corner of her eyes. She looked over when she felt a hand on her shoulder and smiled softly at Steve. "Sorry," she said with a chuckle, rubbing at her eyes with a chuckle.

He shook his head. "You don't need to apologize. I know how much she means to you. And I know you mean a lot to her, too."

"You know, people always prepare you for losing someone you love," she said, sniffling. "Nobody prepares you for losing someone still living."

Steve sighed and pulled her in for a tight hug. Grace rested her head on his chest and took in his scent, one she hadn't smelled in so long. It felt like home.

⸻ ~~~ ⸻

an: I don't know how
many chapters like this
I can do before it feels
repetitive, but I don't
want to jump right in
to winter soldier...

if anyone has any
requests of Grace-
Steve moments,
please comment them!!

also, I just watched
Peggy's funeral and I'm
gonna cry writing that
chapter...

also, I just watchedPeggy's funeral and I'mgonna cry writing thatchapter