"Didn't really work. We're having a bit of a disagreement at the moment."

"Of course," he sympathises. "I understand how difficult plant-human relationships can be. Have you considered counselling?"

  Daphne inspects the weeping cut on her fingertip. "I might have to."

There's commotion on the parallel side of the greenhouse, laughter bubbling from the quiet abyss. Heads turn to look up from their flowers, because arguably anything is more interesting than the work before them. Surprisingly, it's none other than Lily Evans and Mary McDonald at the centre of attention, giggling into their palms over something Mary's said. They can only try and stifle their hysteria when a shadow looms over them, demerits imminent in their futures.

"Miss Evans," Professor Sprout sighs. "If you can't work with Miss McDonald, I'm afraid you'll have to be moved." She coasts her earthy eyes around the room.

  Mary groans. "Professor, can we not have another chance?"

  "That was your third chance, I'm afraid. Miss Evans, please swap seats with Mr Sato."

  Daphne's heart leaps into her mouth. Her eyes jump onto Lily's, but quickly swerve onto the tabletop. She can feel her palms sweating as her footsteps round the length of all the desks, the horrible squeal of a stool being pulled out next to her signalling that Lily has in fact been moved next to her and she's not trapped in a complex nightmare.

  It's awkward. Very awkward.

Daphne peeks through her hair meekly, studying the girl next to her. Her green eyes are creased in concentration, eyebrows knitted together as she attacks her plant with a little device that vaguely resembles a hedge trimmer. It's hard to tell what she's thinking, but Daphne lingers on her pretty features for a few moments longer than necessary. To deduce what's going on in her head, obviously!

"Are you just going to gawk at me for the next twenty minutes?" Lily mutters. "Or is there something you have to say."

"I'm not gawking," Daphne says defensively.

"You're totally gawking."

"Piss off, Evans!"

A prolonged beat of silence. More like a semibreve, really.

"Is there?"

Daphne looks up. "Is there what?"

"Anything you want to say to me."

"Nothing comes to mind," she replies dryly, narrowing her eyes.

Lily hesitates. "I'm sorry."

  "What on earth are you sorry about?" Daphne exclaims. "You haven't done anything wrong."

   "Well, I don't know!" she answers. "I'm sorry you had to deal with me when I was all upset. You didn't have to. It's made everything go all weird, as well."

  "Don't be dense, Lily," Daphne says a bit too defensively. "It was nothing. I was just trying to be nice."

  She pinches the bridge of her nose. "NoI didn't mean it like that"

  Lily throws her hands up in exasperation when she can't think of the right words, nicking her arm on a gardening tool next to her and slicing open a gash. This ultimately knocks a plant pot over and causes an almost comical domino effect — a sea of spilled soil and fractured terracotta soon sprawling over the floors. She hisses in pain, clutching at her arm as blood splotches like ink over her hand.

Their demise is written in the clicking of Professor Sprout's boots. When she arrives at the crime scene, she rubs at her face with her gardening gloves and looks as if she's trying not to burst a blood vessel. Her crow's feet scrunch up as she squints down at the mess of her classroom, a sigh rattling from deep within her chest.

  "Miss Evans, Miss Charpentier," Professor Sprout says almost knowingly. "You'll have to come and tidy this mess up in after school detention. I expected more from you, ladies."

  Daphne blows hair out of her face exasperatedly. "Wonderful," she mutters under her breath. "Just wonderful."

authors note!

i can't write drama

this feels clunky i can't explain it but we move xxxx

it but we move xxxx

i'm off for the october week so i'll hopefully be able to post more often but i'm notorious for not doing that 😍