1

"Go back to your motherland, you absolute ***** of a *******."

And another. This abuse is really getting on my nerves. Both England and China are where I come from! Why can't I make a choice?

"Your surname is Wang. That's Chinese. Play for them, you snake."

I couldn't take it anymore. I switched off my phone when Arsenal coach Jonas Eidevall walked in.

"Well hi Alex and Kyra, it's great to have you guys here. I'm sorry we can't offer you the Champions League this season, but I assure you we will win the league this season, if that's any consolation?"

Kyra Cooney-Cross nodded. So did I.

"I might mention, gaffer, that the last time we missed out on the Champions League was when we won the league." A voice came from behind Jonas.

Beth Mead.

The legend herself.

It was me who was meeting her.

My instincts took over and I ran towards her.

"Autograph please?"

She seemed shocked, then started to laugh.

"Don't worry Alex, you'll be seeing a lot of me, even if I'm not on international duty. You'll get my autograph. Who knows, if you're lucky I might even give you my shirt," she said with a wry smile.

Jonas cleared his throat and we snapped to attention.

"Alex, since you're going to be representing England in the Nations League, I thought I'd let some of your future team-mates show you the ropes here in London Colney. So please welcome... who I assume are your idols... Leah Williamson, Lotte Wubben-Moy, Beth Mead and Alessia Russo!!!"

I tried to resist screaming like a fangirl and shook their hands, thanking them.

"Hi, I'm Alex Wang, uh, I played for Chinese youth teams, but I chose England, I signed for Arsenal from FC Twente, and well... yeah. I think this is it."

"Come on, I'll show you the relaxation room," THE Leah Williamson said to me, while the two Aussies Caitlin Foord and Steph Catley came in, presumably to show Kyra Cooney-Cross around.

"So Alex, you were unlucky to finish second with Twente in the Eredivisie last season, but you've come to the best club in England. We'll be first this year, I swear." Lotte patted my shoulder.

"The same one that lost to Manchester United in every game last season?" I teased them. Oh my God, I was teasing them. Oh my God. (A/N I don't know about you but I would definitely have this reaction)

"Um, we don't talk about that," Alessia scratched her chin.

"If you can't beat her, you can sign her, right?" Leah shouted. Beth and Lotte cheered in agreement.

"Alex, how do you feel now that you're at the second best club in England?" Alessia asked.

"Oi Less, don't tell me United are the first?" Beth recoiled.

Alessia shrugged. "Well..."

"Anyway," Leah waved away Alessia's disparagement of Arsenal, "we'll be playing some 5v5 games later this afternoon, then you'll have to pose for some photos regarding your transfer... and then we're off to Prenton Park for a closed-door friendly with Liverpool. Finally, we will arrange who you will be living with for the duration of your Arsenal career. So choose well. I hear you are under contract until 2026. You'll have to share with that person for 3 years."

Beth seemed to be thinking for a while. "You can stay at me and Viv's house... we've got enough resources, we've got a guest room, we've got the most important thing of all, 3 toilets!"

My eyes were popping out. "THREE TOILETS?!"

Beth smiled. "Cool, right? Hopefully this will convince you to come and live with us. Besides, we're awesome, funny, quirky, weird, amusing, ridiculous, hilarious..."

Lotte slapped Beth. "Shut up, Beffy. I'm sure your household is fun and all, but this is not the time for discussion. Let's introduce Alex to her new teammates first."

(A/N okay in this one I ship Meadema (who doesn't) and Alessia Russo/ Leah Williamson (tho it is clear that they are not together irl, I have read too many Wusso fanfics for my own good. I ship Wobbs outside of this book btw) yea thanks for wasting your time)

I was led out of the corridors of the training centre and onto the grassy pitches, bathed in extreme sunlight.

"Wow, this doesn't look like a good place to train," I remarked.

"Well, according to Mapi Leon, looks can be deceiving," said someone behind us.

"Oh, hey there, Gio," Leah turned around.

"So this is the new kid, welcome! What's your name?"

"Alexandra Wang, but please call me Alex."

"I hope you are as good for us as you were at the AFC Championship! Look, here are the girls. Don't worry, they're really friendly and nice," Gio said before leaving.

As I was taking a football out of the duffel bag, I saw none other than the GOAT herself, Vivianne Miedema, walk by and give Beth Mead a big hug.

(Rightooo, let's just pretend none of the girls have ACL injuries anyway...)

I really admired Viv. I mean, what aspiring striker wouldn't? She's got all the qualities of a striker you could ask for. Hold-up play, finishing, passing... you love her on your team but you'd hate to have her pitched against you. She's an absolute beast. I just hope I end up with her on my team in the 5v5s later on. Or I'm definitely dead meat.

I caught up with Katie McCabe, who I thought to be menacing because of her antics on the pitch - is really nice off of it. I'd never guessed. No wonder she's such good friends with Russo. There's lawful good and then there's chaotic good. Yin and Yang, as my father used to say.

Chinese symbols...

Ugh, I really need to get those thoughts out of my head.

Lia Waelti and Caitlin Foord were the next to arrive and I ABSOLUTELY STAN THEM. Not telling that to their faces though. (A/N I stick with the OG lockdown couple. I'M DELULU OKAY?)

Gio was right, the girls are really friendly. Can't wait to train with this squad of superstars and see where it brings me. This Gooner spirit is already seeping into the depths of my soul... hopefully that can repel the demons inside me that still scream for me to play for my motherland.

I keep thinking about Chinese stuff. What's gotten into me?

Fuck this shit. Off to the pitch we go.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Oct 22, 2023 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Am I Supposed To Be Here?जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें