chapter one

___

O N E

O N E

___

"YOU CAN DO THIS." Florence muttered to herself after she got out of her car. She looked up to the house in front of her with anxiousness. After Belly texted her that they were back home, Florence immediately knew that if she was going to say something now about what they were, then she had to do it now. Especially, after realizing that she had completely, truly, fallen hard for Belly Susannah Conklin.

"Belly, I've loved the time we've had together the past couple years, but I was wondering if we could be more? Be together as girlfriends—Ugh, Florence, no." She shook her head, fiddling with the pack of letters that were in her hand. Over the summer, Florence had been rewatching One Tree Hill and decided to take a page from Brooke's book by writing a letter everyday that Belly had been in Cousins. She knew it was corny, but with her love for writing and difficulty saying the words she wanted to out loud, she knew she had to. But, if anyone were to ever find out about it, she would simply die. Florence Monroe wasn't known for the sentimental or soft type. Her heart felt like it would jump out of her chest when she reached the front door. "You can do this, you can do this."

    With that, she rang the door and did the traditional knock that Florence always did when going to someone's house. Now, she just had to wait. She had messaged Belly when she pulled up that she was going to stop by, so Belly should know that it was going to be Florence that was at her front door. Florence's head snapped up when she heard a yell from inside the house, recognizing it as Belly's voice.

"I got it, mom!" She heard Belly shout. Florence, immediately, moved the letters behind her back, wanted it to be a surprise. When the door opened, there she was. Belly gave Florence a small, hesitant, smile. "Hi, Flor."

     "Hi, Bells." Florence gave the girl a small smile in return. Her nerves were everywhere and wouldn't shut up. Belly walked to stand in front of Florence, closing the front door. "How was your trip? I know you already told me, but I just wanted to ask again. I, also, wanted to say that I'm sorry about Susannah."

     "It was uh good, and there's no reason to apologize. Jere-Jeremiah was able to convince her to start a treatment that seems hopeful." Belly stuttered slightly. Florence didn't notice Belly's hands start to shake a little, too worried about how to ask her to be her girlfriend. "Florence, there's something I need to tell you."

     "Can I say something first? Please." Florence asked, fiddling with the letter behind her back. She hadn't given Belly a moment before continuing with her words, "Belly, I know I'm not the sentimental type, but since I've gotten to be your friend you've helped me grow. You helped me become a better person after so much shit happened in my life before I met you. You're someone that I trust, someone who would never hurt me. I was wondering if we—"