Chapter 65: Fallen From Grace

Start from the beginning

The housekeeper thanked him sweetly and wobbled on up to her room, Sarah noticed her leaning less on her left leg. Draco turned to Sarah and reached inside a cupboard just on the left as he entered in the kitchen to grab a bottle of fire whiskey.

"Bloody close," he mumbled, holding up the bottle.

"You're an actual human being," blurted Sarah.

He frowned and stayed silent for a second while Sarah bit on the inside of her cheek. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean like-"

"It's fine," he said raising a hand to dismiss her apology, "But don't tell anybody."

"Oh, I can guarantee my friends will hear about this," she said with a stern nod and expression, mimicking his mannerisms when he usually said things like that about his father.

Draco glared at her, and she thought in that second he actually considered Stunning her back in those dungeons but he just rolled his eyes, "Shut up."

He gestured for her to follow him. "Come on, I have this errand now. Keep quiet," he ordered and walked in front of her again.

Sarah's heart was beating fast against her chest, she took deep and slow breaths to try to calm down, but the closer she got to the room, she could feel the hairs rise at the back of her neck, her stomach turn, she knew Voldemort was on the other side. And if she wasn't sure before, she heard his hissing voice, the one that's haunted her since her childhood through the wood carved door.

"I have asked you simple things," he said in a threateningly calm voice, hissing at ever 's'. "I cannot grasp at how exactly you could have failed. Again. It's been three weeks, how does a seventeen year old boy escapes you OVER AND OVER AGAIN!"

"We apologize, my Lord," said Lucius in his cowardly voice, "But we have managed to take the girl, she's downstairs as we speak. When we get the boy, your plan will be in function."

"She's of no interest without the boy! There's only a few seconds window!"

Sarah had been here for over three weeks, she couldn't believe it. Somehow she felt it lasted much longer, and she hoped it would actually be less time. She had to get out of here, she needed to get out. But she also needed to stay to find out what they knew, if Harry was safe for the moment, what their next plan was.

Only her heart came to a full stop when Voldemort called, "Draco." Like he'd sensed his presence and she was afraid he'd sense hers as well.

Draco exchanged a look with her before going in, a look that told her to wait, to trust him. She would have found it difficult, impossible a few hours ago. But he'd proved to be trustworthy twice already. She couldn't help but wonder if trusting Draco Malfoy will cause her salvation or her downfall. She couldn't do anything else, anyway.

"Father. Mother. Messers," he said as he pushed the door open to enter.

"I've sent up Margie, her knee was clanking, you know how I hate that sound," spat Draco in the conceited voice he usually takes on. 

"Only too well," mumbled Lucius and Sarah winced, understanding once again how it worked around here. Lucius developed an opinion, and it immediately got absorbed by Draco, chewed and spat back out at Harry, Hermione, Ron, Sarah, and everyone at Hogwarts. It was sad, really.

"Is there anything? I'd like to get some sleep, I have revisions for my NEWT classes tomorrow morning."

"Ah, school," spoke Voldemort, like that just sparked a fond memory. Sure it did you piece of shit, remember when you got Hagrid expelled and plotted splitting your soul in seven? The real Hogwarts experience right there.