★ REUNION ★

COSMOS

|S2 E3|

|S2 E3|

"Penelope Brookes, you will not regret this."

★————————————★

Penny closed the car door behind her with a dull thud, straightening her neatly pressed skirt and blazer. The brick building of the academy in front of her wasn't exactly a welcome sight, she was certainly glad to have graduated a while ago.

The lack of the backseat door opening had her leaning back over the drivers seat, shooting a questioning look at the pudgy faced, curly haired boy in the backseat. "What are you doing, Kenny?"

The kid didn't respond, idly kicking at the seat in front of him but refusing to budge.

"...Is it really that bad?"

"I hate it. The other kids suck and I don't like any of the teachers. And all the food tastes weird." He complained.

"That's why you have your own lunch. Speaking of..." She unzipped her bag, taking Kenny's packed lunch from inside and holding it out to him. "I don't know exactly what you're routine is normally like, but your sister's only gone for a week longer. Let's just...get through it, okay?"

The past week hadn't exactly been easy for either of them. Babysitting a high-school freshman wasn't exactly doing wonders for her productivity, especially now that her classes had been picking up. But she'd been asked to help, she couldn't just say no.

Penny didn't really have time for this, but the least she could do was offer some form of reassurance. She didn't look back on high school particularly fondly either. "You're a smart kid. You'll be fine."

With a sigh that seemed to imply reluctant agreement, he took the offered lunch. "I'm so not gonna be fine."

★————————————★

Penny fiddled with her keys as she waited outside the high school. The sun had lowered in the sky since she'd dropped Kenny off, the harsh bell signaling the end of the school day. Her last lecture had ended a few hours ago, giving her more than enough time to slowly make her way back to the school. Fiddling with the keys in her hand, she watched as groups of teens exited the school, all glad to be free from the building.

The familiar blotchy face of Kenny emerged from the crowd, face as pale as a sheet as he beelined to Penelope. His eyes were wide with fear he spoke quickly. "Can we go?"

"Whoa, whats up?" She stopped him, frowning in concern. "You okay?"

"I...I think I saw something I wasn't supposed to." He whispered, anxiously checking around despite the fact no one seemed to be paying them any attention.