Chapter 17

"What the hell was that?" Ominis demanded from Sebastian once the girls went to sleep. He was sitting in front of the fireplace, keeping it from dwindling.

"What?"

"The way you practically threatened me out there. You know she was up to something." Ominis whispered with a hiss.

Sebastian sighed. "Listen, tomorrow is the last day of the holiday break. We don't need her running off because someone decided to interrogate her like she's a criminal."

He placed another log in the fire. The satisfying burning crackle hung in the air for a moment.

"You talked to her, didn't you?" Ominis leaned against the back of his seat, the stance making him look longer than he was.

Sebastian answered with a breathy chuckle.

"I knew it!" Ominis continued. "No wonder you are so calm. What did you say? Confess your undying, unyielding, untamable love for her?"

Sebastian gave him a lighthearted shove. "Bugger off, you dolt. I didn't. I guess I told her the exact opposite."

"You told her you hate her?"

"No! Of course not. I simply told her that I wasn't going to pursue her anymore, that she is free to do whatever she needs or wants, and I'll be here to mend her when she returns."

Ominis straightened in his seat. "And she wasn't angry with you?"

"Not that I could tell, she seemed relieved." He let out a deep exhale, leaned against the back of his seat, and placed his arm over his eyes. "It has done wonders for our friendship, but I get worried sick when she is late for a class or is out of sight for longer than a few hours imagining her bleeding out somewhere with no one around."

"I may not experience the same depth of concern that you do for obvious reasons, but I understand, which is why I pushed so hard for you to attend the ball with her. Turned out to go better than I expected."

"That night, I remember being deathly concerned about something or someone, but I can not remember what it was." He looked over to Ominis. "Did anything seem out of the ordinary to you?"

His friend knitted his eyebrows, remembering his own experience of the night at the ball.

"I did not see Juniper after she ditched me on the dance floor. She was drinking Weasley's latest creation..."

"Delicious in moderation, by the way." Sebastian interjected.

"Mhm. He later came up to me to inform me that she was back in the dormitories where she stayed until the next evening. I did hear whispers of a mysterious presence lurking around the castle grounds but was ruled as a drunken Mr. Moon. Other than that, it was as expected."

Sebastian rubbed his eyes and groaned. It was annoying how much his mind was hyperfixating on something he couldn't even remember. The two stayed in front of the fire for another while engaging in minor small talk about lesser important things before nodding off to sleep with the sound of the dwindling fireplace.

They awoke the next morning to a farewell breakfast from Anne, who they wished more than anything to bring with to Hogwarts. They packed their bags, and floo flamed their way back to the castle, but not before a long goodbye. Juniper promised she would visit again, maybe even without the boys to have a better quality time, she reasoned.

Back at the castle, which had resumed its traditional decorations and displays except for in the most obscure and forgotten corners where a bell or a wreath could be found, the trio settled back into a class-oriented routine. More studies, more assignments, and more expectations for better results.