Act III

It is the Kakusei era, year 3XXX.

The world has undergone a drastic change due to the series of global conflict, ecological disasters, and the advancement of technology. Modern civilization had long collapsed and the merging of countries, increase in oligarchs and totalitarian regimes, corruption, and warfare was rampant.

Left alone, uninterrupted without pause, was a world unbeknownst to those fortunate; a world filled with demons and those who slay them.

MEDIA DICTIONARY
* Thoughts
* "Dialogue."
* 'Telepathic dialogue.'
* "Past conversation."

┍━ 【❀】 ━┑

CHAPTER EIGHT

TIMESKIP: FOUR DAYS

SAORI

Saori leaned against the toilet, overwhelmed by a wave of nausea that made her gag and retch. A frothy, mucus-filled vomit trickled out of her mouth and into the bowl. The overwhelming wave of nausea that made her clutch her stomach was a sensation she had grown accustomed to, as it had plagued her for several days.

God, what is this illness? I could not eat even if I wanted to!

Out of nowhere, a series of quick knocks echoed through the door. Soaku's voice filled with affection as she spoke, "Oh, my sweet Saori! Saori, are you almost prepared for the dinner with the Ootanis?"

Saori grabbed a tissue to cleanse her mouth. With a voice strained and her throat irritated by the stomach acid, she replied, "Certainly, Mother! I am almost ready!"

Soaku's hair bun, which was stylishly neat and tight, came undone as she crossed her arms and impatiently tapped her foot. "Saori, please open the door or come out!" She forcefully hit the bathroom door with her fist, but her annoyance dissipated as she heard the unpleasant sounds of retching from inside. "Oh, Saori, that stomach bug of yours has still not left?"

Saori gazed into the stained toilet bowl, feeling empty. Her head throbbed, and she experienced intense dizziness. "No, Mother. I am sorry, but I am still feeling unwell..."

Soaku whined with petulance, expressing her discontent. "God, this situation has already turned into a complete catastrophe! I had been eagerly anticipating an opportunity like this to bring us good fortune, but it has been utterly ruined, all ruined!"

"No, I am well enough to go, Mother!" Saori assured her with a gasp. "Do not worry, everything will be fine."

"Well, it better! Our reputation and livelihood depend on the success of this arrangement. Life as we know it hangs in the balance!"

An agreement was made between Soaku's father and the leader of the Ootani clan. According to the agreement, one of the Katōwamuro women would marry Kame, the youngest heir of the Ootanis. Soaku assured her father that her eldest daughter, Saori, would honor this commitment in order to gain his admiration.

I cannot allow myself to forego this opportunity!

Moments later, Saori exited the bathroom. She donned a formal kimono embroidered with the Katōwamuro family clan's wisteria emblem, and her dark fuchsia hair was braided into a high bun adorned with floral kanzashi. "Mother, how do I look?"

Saori emerged from the bathroom a few moments later. She was wearing a formal kimono embroidered with the wisteria emblem of the Katōwamuro family clan. Her dark fuchsia hair had been braided into a high bun, and she had decorated it with floral kanzashi. "Mother, how do I look?"

Soaku placed her hand over her mouth and held back tears of happiness. "Oh, my sweet Saori, you are such a stunning young lady; you resemble me so much when I was young. You and the Ootani boy will make a truly remarkable couple."