"And you don't?"

He smirked, lowering himself beside her. "Aye, I do like things my way. Except I have fought in many battles and have my reasons. Your brother, well... his words don't come from a place of wisdom. Simply from anger and resentment. Smalljon, he's not suited for battle. For killing, yes. One man at a time. In a war... you would fare better. You adapt, little bear. You are fierce. And more importantly you are careful. You think of everything before you act. We need that here. You and Lady Catelyn, you will be the advisors Robb listens to the most."

"You couldn't have known he'd listen to me when you brought me."

"No, but I had hoped that even if he didn't listen, others would. It was time for Smalljon to assume his duties, to stop acting like a pup who has been kicked. I imagined time as Lord of Last Hearth would remind him who he is. He may despise me but I've only ever wanted for him to take responsibility. His anger has driven him since your mother died. He was angry I could not save her and he's never forgiven me for it."

"So it's better for you that he isn't here," said Thyrsa, knowing what he really wanted to say. "He'd constantly be undermining your decisions, fearing for our safety. He and Aspen would be at odds. If anyone died, it would be... horrible. It's better if he has a distraction."

Greatjon nodded. "Aye. It would be." He sighed, "Your mother, she was a wonderful woman. When she left, it broke us. Jon pushed us away. Esther and Hother fill the emptiness with other things... work, children. The twins fight until the pain dissipates. Sigrid prays to the old gods and pushes aside the thought of murder because she thinks it is what got Saga killed. And you, my little bear, you were too small to know much of what was happening. It pains me that you hardly knew her, hardly remember her."

She leaned against him, watching as two horses rode back up to them. "It pains me, too."

She wondered how many of the men present there had fought with her mother. She wondered how many of them had a story about something funny she said, or something impressive that she did. There had to be loads of them, maybe a way to fill the gaps that she had in her own memory, to at least build a bigger story than what she knew. Her siblings could only remember so much, and both them and her father had a certain perspective.

Being in a war without her felt wrong.

Aspen and Lady Catelyn returned unharmed but also unhappy with Lord Walder's response. They'd been meeting in Robb's war tent when the two walked in, grim expressions on their faces.

"Lord Walder has granted your crossing," Lady Catelyn announced. "His men are yours, as well. Less the four hundred he will keep here to hold the crossing against any who would pursue you."

"What does he want in return?" asked Robb.

"You'll be taking on his son Olyver as your personal squire. He expects a knighthood in good time."

"Fine, fine."

"There's more," said Aspen cautiously, seeing how Lady Catelyn fidgeted with her fingers.

"There always is," muttered Greatjon.

Lady Catelyn hesitated. "Arya will marry his son Waldron when they both come of age."

"She won't be happy about that," said Robb with a weak smirk.

Aspen urged Lady Catelyn to continue. "And... when the fighting is done... you will marry one of his daughters. Whichever you prefer. He has a number he thinks will be... suitable."

The lords all looked at Robb, who nodded slowly, "I see. Did you get a look at his daughters?"

Theon snickered, causing Lady Catelyn to grimace. "I did. One was..." she trailed off. "Do you consent?"