#06- Stalker

In the far corner of the restaurant, Hyde chose to take the vacant table and glanced outside the glass window where the night was devoured by the bright luminescence lights guiding the streets and the moving cars on the busy highway. He never knew how fascinating the city is at night.

"You must be Mr. Collins?" Hyde swiftly drifted his gazes when a man in his late fifties suddenly came to approach him. His skin started to wrinkle and some strands of his hair have turned to gray but his sophisticated eyes haven't shown any change. Formality screamed out from the man's appearance as Hyde darted his gazes at him.

"Yes sir, Hyde Collins." The inspector smiled and reached out for the young man's hand then they sent a formal shake of hands before they seated on their seats.

"Would you mind having dinner as we talk?"

"Fine by you." The man chuckled. Hyde called the waiter and asked him to present the course. The waiter nodded and left the table.

"So you're a son of James Collins." Hyde looked at the eyes that were staring at him.

"Yes. I was reassigned here to investigate a certain case." The man nodded his head a couple of times as if he understood something.

"...The case where some detectives were killed. The culprit hasn't been captured yet, right?" The man's blissful expression suddenly changed the time the young man uttered his goal.

"H-How did you know about it?" The old man mumbled in disbelief.

"That's no longer important, sir. Let's just say that I have a friend who was asking for my help to unveil the mystery behind that case. And also to give justice for those who got involved in such ."

The inspector's eyes were focused on Hyde's hollows, trying to dig deeper for what is he really up to. Why all of a sudden bring up that case?

"I'm sorry Collins, but the case has been closed years ago. It's better to leave it as it was." The old man firmly refused and took a quick sip of his wine.

"Are you underestimating my capabilities as a detective Inspector Scott?" Hyde asked.

"No. it's not that. It's just that, I don't want it to happen again." The last sentence was almost a whisper but the young man heard it. There, he remembered that Inspector Scott was the officer in charge of that case along with his father.

"I will let you enter the Crime Investigation Unit but you must not mention anything about that case. Understood?" Hyde heaved out a defeated sigh and nodded politely.

"Yes sir."

---------------

"I'll be expecting your presence at the headquarters this Monday. For now, I have to go. Thanks for the meal." The inspector stood up and neatly settled his suit, preparing to board his vehicle.

"It's my pleasure to work with you, Inspector Scott." The young man formally uttered as he offered a hand to the other party.

"No problem Collins. But I'm warning you; don't ever think about getting yourself into this mess."

Hyde briefly chuckled and thought, "This man got himself worried for nothing."

"Don't worry inspector, my life has been a mess as far as I could remember." He replied.

"Off to go, Collins." The two ended their meeting as the old man stepped into his car and closed the door. His eyes sent off the car away from the hotel until it was no longer visible from his sight.

The Next Day...

Just right after finishing his usual morning routine, Hyde left his room and went straight to the cafe near the guest lounge to sip some early morning coffee.