Spoilers | Oneshot - Am I Here...?

A oneshot dedicated to my grandmother, who is on death's door as I write this. I was never close to her, and even now, I don't really feel much about it. But I still wonder what it's like for people who do feel pain when a loved one dies. So this is my attempt at emulating such emotions and expressing them in text form. I'm not an actual therapist, so I'm going by what I've learned on my own time and what the internet is telling me constitutes a screening, diagnosis, etc. etc.

Image by artist William Utermohlen, who made self-portraits every year until he was unable to draw after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's. 1933-2007. A talented man with a dedication to the arts, determined to show the world what he sees until the very end. An insightful perspective into the minds of those who can no longer express themselves to the world.

Spoilers for what I have planned for the future of this story.

Warnings: Angst, loss of a loved one, canon divergence, extremely sensitive subject

Starts 12 years after the current timeline in this fanfiction. Takes place over the course of 3 years.

Shoto/Izuku/Katsuki - 28-31

Reader - 29-32

All Might - 71-74 (I'm placing his canon age to be around mid-late 50s)

"Congrats on getting Number One Hero again, Izuku-chan," you grin as you stroll through the park again. "Seriously, I know I say it every time, but still!"

"Oi, whore, don't forget I'm here too!" Katsuki growls as he flicks your shoulder.

"Ow! You bitch..." you huff haughtily.

"Heh," he sneers down at you.

"Don't get cocky just 'cause you're tall, Number Two," you snark back.

"Not that he has much of one at all..." Izuku smirks, glancing off to the side.

"SHITTY DEKU, I SWEAR-"

"Ohh noo, is someone mad? I-I'm sorry, but what did lil ol' me do to hurt you~?" The green-haired boy bats his large doe eyes innocently. It's a trait he picked up from you many years ago.

"DIE!!"

"Mm... No!"

You halt in front of the doors to the building you were supposed to enter, "This is my stop, guys. I'll see you later!"

"Bye~!"

"Fuck off!"

"You fuck off, Pomeranian, and good luck on your mission! Bye bye Bun~"

You walk into the building, giggling to yourself as you hear them bickering over your differing treatment of them. It was all in good fun, of course.

You head to your office and look in your mirror, taking in a deep breath. You had to be presentable, and approachable.

Ten long years were necessary for you to reach this point, but you made it. You finally got yourself that stable job you always wanted. And most importantly, you could help people. Not in the way heroes save people from villains, but in the way you save people from themselves. A licensed psychologist with a Ph.D. in psychology and philosophy. Not to mention a Harvard graduate, having been spurred on by your three old friends' own motivations. If they could get into such a selective school, then you could too if you put your whole spirit into it.

And you did.

Today, you discovered you'd be having a very special patient.

All Might himself - Yagi Toshinori.

"Ah, it's a pleasure to be meeting with you today, Yagi-san," you greet the retired hero politely.

"Please, no need for formalities. We've met before once or twice with this one by my side," he smiles and waves it off as he gestures to Izuku.