Autism-A success story

This is not a story but bitter reality. Today, I would love to congratulate an entire family and a group of dedicated teachers for the success of C.V. Sathyanarayanan, who graduated with a Bachelor's degree. The incident that I am going to share today should be an inspiration for children with different challenges and their parents.

At the age of four Sathya was enrolled into a private school in Chennai for his primary education. Right from the beginning he had attention and grasping problems.  Initially, he was just thought to be a hyperactive child but soon teachers and other parents started complaining about his behavior and wanted to get him out of the school. . He was eruptive and disruptive and quiet restless in class.

There was an empathetic teacher, who encouraged him and gave him stars for his good work. This excited him and he started doing well in her class. The Vice-Principal of the school was also very accommodative.  Whenever others complained about Sathyanarayanan, calling him a "mentally challenged child", she made them understand that every kid is different and it is our duty to let our children mingle with everyone alike. However, worried at Sathya's strange behavior, his Mother gauged that he had problems in understanding and learning the curriculum. Consultation with doctors declared that Sathya has traces of autism with learning disability, dyslexia.

One day, Sathya, was running very high temperature. On the way to the doctor, they had to stop at a railway cross when a train was passing.  Sathya curiously and attentively looked at the passing train keeping his eyes wide open. He was so enamored by the train that his joy knew no bounds and his fever disappeared.  Since then the one thing that would calm him down was watching trains. So his mother started taking him on a train trips for the sake of teaching him as this improved his concentration and gave him clarity of thought. Sathya managed to complete his primary school and moved on to middle school. He was struggling but his class teacher did not want to help him. In the class, he was made to sit
sit next to the black board. Chalk powder would fall all over his face and other children would make fun of him but he never understood what was going on.

One day, the principal of this school, asked Sathya's mother to meet her and accused her of getting hold for the question papers beforehand to help Sathya prepare for the exam, but the mother challenged the Principal to give a question paper for each subject and have Sathya write the exams again. He passed in all the subjects except English. The reason for this was, while all the other question papers were in printed format, the English paper was handwritten. However, when the questions were read out, Sathya answered them correctly. Then the mother met the correspondent of the school with every single tool, books, notebooks etc. and explained how she sweated it out to teach him differently with marked success.

It was a long struggle mentally and physically.8th standard was a hard nut to crack. So the mother decided to shift him to a State Board School and admitted him in Government Higher Secondary School, West Mambalam, (Pudur), Chennai. The Pincipal, Mrs. Meehal Jacob was not only receptive but also willing to adapt to his learning style and help him in every way. "One Language Exemption" for dyslexic children was made available for him and other facilities due were also got from the department. The teachers did their best to help him. They encouraged him in all the progress he made. The other students were made to understand his position and be compassionate towards him. C.V. Sathyanarayanan passed out the 10th and the 12th in flying colors with more than 70% from the same school. The support he got from this school made him confident.

He went on to join Loyola College for his Bachelor's degree. The Principal and the Professors were very supportive as well.  He was able to get a scribe who would read out the questions for him and keep him aware of the completion time during examinations.

Sathya's success is a great accomplishment both for him and his mother, Mrs. Padma Vaidyanathan, who made the impossible possible for her son who learnt things differently. She provided all the special tools for him to learn in ease. This can create awareness for parents who are facing similar situations.  His achievement proves that in a conducive and congenial environment even special children can be successful in life. We need to revisit our teaching techniques for children with different abilities.

One should not be discriminated based on race, caste, creed, religion, sex or any kind of disability. Job opportunities should be given to young men and women like Sathya, which would encourage them in living independently in a compassionate society. If their talents are correctly assessed and if they are entrusted with suitable tasks and responsibilities, they would certainly shoulder it creditably. The non Pareil Institute in Plano, Texas, was begun five years ago to take advantage of the founders' children's love of technology. The non-profit, trains adults on the spectrum (traces of autism), to develop digital games and apps. They have released five apps and a couple of games, with many more on the way, according to Dan Selec, nonPareil's CEO. It is for the government and the society to encourage and support autistic adults to stand on their own legs, to make a living with honor and dignity. Innovative ways to use their skills to enhance their business can not only build a beautiful society but can also increase the self-esteem of these young adults and their families. A little care, compassion and hard work can lit a light in the lives of children like Sathya.

Brinda Subramanian