Context on coming events and Info dump : A little glimpse into past and future

"What are you doing?" He asked, curiosity eminent in his tone as he scanned a crouched Es' who was staring at a little shiny hoop clutched between her thumb and pointer .

"Oh nothing! It's just the ring , I swear I saw it glow gold a while back at the border."

"Really? Don't try to trick me! besides, you really think that lame old prank is gonna fool anyone? No one will believe that that hoary old ring 'glowed' ." Erl' returned , he really couldn't hear a thing without following it up with some foolish comment of his.

She ignored his proclamation as she continued to stare at the ring , there was something strange about it, It just didn't sit right with her . She could watch it for hours and yet not get bored , an incredibly great feat! quite rare too in her regard .

Watching that little hunk of metal made her heart warm , she enjoyed the sight , she felt protected and worryless, all signs of uneasiness drained from her body.
Could it be magical?
The thought appalled her . She was never one to believe in magic,ghosts,ghouls or anything of the sort. Ignore that ,she even abjured the Occlial - a group which worshipped the historical planet where our species once resided , earth . Occlial was the faith that Es' belonged to by birth but she always flinched , twitching her eyes at the mention of this ridiculous belief. To her it was straight up balderdash.

She continued to gaze at the ring , a magnificent crystal embedded on to it , almost as if it was fused into the metal . It glimmered in all shades of blue with blinding hues of pinkish reds, chartreuse, and gold . It was beguiling .

Oftentimes she'd stare at the ring and see things,strange things in the many polished cuts of it's gem and soon enough , she'd find herself falling into the abyss , into the world of the crystal, seeing the things she had found in the crystal as moments taking place right in front of her , either her memories or things she'd never even imagined before .

She found herself sinking into another world , this one was a memory , it appeared clear , she could see everything no blurs .
She recognised the place . It was her house at '0' , but it seemed different, it seemed happier .
Ahhh yes , I remember this . It was her 16 birthday , a day she dreaded , a memory that horrified her.

It was her grandma's last happy day , her last happy memory .

C'mon bebe, can I pleeeaasssee open my gifts yet????

"No no , you have to be patient. Remember you always open the gifts with your guests and only after you had received each one, it's a tradition!" Grandma scolded her.

Finnneee !!! I guess I'll just go help pops with decorating the cake .

Aren't you gonna write to your mother?

Nahhh...

She won't read it ?

I don't think so , she's always going on and on about how busy she is and how she can't find the time to read the letters whenever I ask her about the untouched papers I send to her .

Ok then , if it's fine with her . What about erl' won't he be mad at you for not sending a word of well-wishing ?

Erl' doesn't care. It doesn't affect him one bit what I'm doing , I don't think he even knows today's my birthday .

"Ok then, off you go there's a lot to do ." Grandma chuckled

Es' took off , rushing to the kitchen to help her father with the cake . It was a droopy mess of cream and sugar . A chocolate cake with vannila icing,just how she liked it . She reached into her Murray suede bag , sitting a little to the right on the chair near the island . She grabbed a pack of peppermints sitting comfortably amongst many books, chocolates and clothes she had brought from pormella . She opened the pack , simultaneously chucking one into her mouth, she took out a few peppermints at once placing them carefully around the cake whilst pops was busy working on the mint-sugar he was boiling a feet away . The aroma enthralled her , she loved sweet and refreshing mint on her chocolate. Father poured it along the sides of the cake , letting it drizzle down as the sugar hardened giving it a holographic dazzle.