1

Fire Bird

Chapter 1

The night was like a normal night like any of the others. Quiet, and peaceful, with the song of the wind and crickets echoing through the open window of Akiya Ishii. It was the perfect lullaby, one that even the eighteen-year-old girl would find comfort listening to every night. It's what she had listened to for most of her life, as her parents owned a small home on the outskirts of the city. It was just along the border of a thickly wooded area, giving them privacy and a mini sanctuary.

The nearest neighbor was still a few yards away, but everyone kept to themself and no one bothered them. Her father valued safety above all. Especially since she was their little secret. A secret that would make the world a much more dangerous place if it knew she existed.

You see, being an omega in this world was a rarity. With the number of omegas dying down, it was starting to become a rare phenomenon for alphas to find an omega mate. Alphas were greedy, selfish, and just possessive creatures that didn't give a damn about anyone but themselves, and their aggression was the reason omegas were dying off rapidly. At least that's what her parents had always told her.

Being born to beta parents, Akiya never had much interaction with other alphas, nor had she ever met another omega. Throughout her eighteen years of life, her parents have kept her safe, guarded, and sheltered so they didn't lose her to a hungry, horny monster. She wore herbs and flowers around her neck to block her scent anytime she went into town. She consumed suppressants every day to prevent her first heat from surfacing. Although she understood why they were so protective, she couldn't help but wish her life was normal so she could go out and explore what the world had to offer.

She had no friends. She never went to public school. All in addition to always being prevented from playing with the neighbors. Akiya spent most of her days learning to cook and clean like her mother. Occasionally she got to spend time in the garden.

Regardless of the bad stipulations of alphas, Akiya still couldn't help fantasies of one day finding a mate of her own. Call it instinct, a romantic fantasy, or a childish motion; Akiya wanted someone to come and sweep her off her feet and take her away from this mini prison. Though he would be respectful, sweet, and of course someone her parents approved of. But, of course, this was a story and nothing ever goes right in a story.

The sound of glass breaking woke Akiya from her slumber. She sat up in bed, gripping the blanket tightly as she looked around in confusion.

What was that? She thought to herself, looking out the open window to see the full moon shining bright in the sky.

The sound of something falling over made her jump out of her skin, and the first thing that went through her head was her parents. Jumping out of bed, Akiya grabbed a book that was beside her bed, wanting to slap herself for thinking of such a useless weapon. Quietly, she opened her bedroom door and peered down the hall, creeping along the wall till she got to the living room.

Her parent's room was across the house, and whatever caused that noise was going to be between her and them. But she couldn't be useless and not attempt to make sure they were okay.

As she glanced around the dark room, Akiya's face hid behind the book as if it were a shield. She heard a small groan come from the kitchen and she held back a scream. Someone had broken into her house, and she was too far deep to make a run for it.

"Damn," she heard a deep, masculine voice and every hair on her body stood straight up. A man- a whole man- was in her home. She needed to get to her parents. They were stronger in numbers and her dad could at least try and subdue the intruder. As she attempted to slip by the kitchen, a flash of blue light illuminated the room and gave away her hiding spot in the dark.