Ukraine team wins first wheelchair rugby qualifier for 'Invictus Games'

Shin Kyung-ki (left), who competed in the wheelchair rugby event as part of a combined team with athletes from the U.S., U.K. and Ukraine, discusses with a U.S. player on the second day of the Invictus Games 2023 in Düsseldorf, Germany, Tuesday (local time).

A combined team from the Republic of Korea and the United States, Great Britain and Ukraine competing in the wheelchair rugby event at the 2023 Invictus Games in Germany won the first match of the preliminary round.

The multinational team, comprised of Korean athlete Shin Byeong-ki and athletes from the United States, United Kingdom (one each) and Ukraine (four), defeated Italy in the wheelchair rugby preliminary round on Day 2 of the Games on Tuesday (local time) to advance to the quarterfinals. The quarterfinals will be played on Nov. 11.

"It was great to be with Korea," said a Ukrainian athlete who played as part of the unified team, "and I hope that there will be more support for Ukraine during the war." Ukraine has been in a state of war since Russia launched an invasion in February last year.

Also at the wheelchair rugby stadium were Minister of National Veterans Affairs Park Min-sik, who is representing the Korean government at this year's Invictus Games, and British Prince Harry, the founder of the Invictus Games, who watched a preliminary match between the United States, United Kingdom, and Ukraine.

According to the Ministry of Veterans Affairs, Minister Park also met with Prince Harry and the Veterans Affairs and Defense Ministers of 11 of the 21 countries that participated in this year's Invictus Games to convey Korea's intention to host the 2029 Invictus Games.

South Korean Minister of National Defense and Veterans Affairs Park Min-sik (second from right) and British Prince Harry watch a wheelchair rugby qualifying match for the Invictus Games between a combined team of South Korean, U.S., British, and Ukrainian athletes and an Italian team.

In this regard, Prince Harry reportedly said, "If the South Korean government actively bids for the event, it is possible to host it in 2027."

The ministers also reportedly expressed their support for South Korea's Invictus Games bid, noting the country's experience hosting the 1988 Seoul Olympics and 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.

The Invictus Games were first held in the United Kingdom in 2014, followed by the United States in 2016, Canada in 2017, Australia in 2018, the Netherlands in 2022, and the seventh edition will once again be held in Canada in 2025.

South Korea competed in the Invictus Games for the second time this year, following last year's event in the Netherlands, and will be the first Asian country to host the next edition if successful.The Invictus Foundation reportedly believes that "hosting the first Invictus Games in an Asian country will broaden the appeal of the event."

If successful, the Ministry of Veterans Affairs plans to invite all 22 Korean War (June 25-July 25) participating countries to host the Invictus Games."Hosting the Invictus Games will contribute to the rehabilitation and medical systems and infrastructure of Korea's wounded warriors, as well as the revitalization of the advanced robotic prosthetics industry," said an official from the Ministry of Veterans Affairs.

고스톱 카지노사이트랭크