𝟏𝟐. ❙𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐡 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥

Start from the beginning

Valentina knew that Lance couldn't write something this profound or even use statistics like this, it's not that he's a complete idiot, she just knew they hadn't gotten to the point where he would be surprising her with things as sweet as this.

"He didn't pay anyone." Spencer suddenly spoke as he walked next to her with his hands behind his back. "I wrote it."

"These are from you?" Valentina questioned, slightly surprised that Spencer would give her something so thoughtful. She knew that he was a sweet guy, but she didn't expect flowers and an incredibly kind note from him.

Spencer nodded his head. "I remember you told me that you like the look of tulips, but you prefer the smell of daisies, so you can smell the daisies while you look at the tulips. Plus, it's Valentine's Day, so I had to get the chocolate and flowers."

Spencer brought one of his hands out from behind his back and handed her a heart box of chocolate. A small smile appeared on her face as Spencer reassured, "Don't worry, I ate the coconut ones for you."

Valentina didn't even remember telling Spencer half of this. There were obviously times where she mentions these things a lot, much like how she very much likes flowers, but she couldn't remember being so specific about it or even the fact that she doesn't like coconut chocolate. Although, with Spencer's eidetic memory and simply caring about what she has to say, Spencer remembered a lot of little details about Valentina.

"However, because it's your birthday too, I got you a real present." Spencer took his other hand out from behind his back and handed her a small present with green wrapping paper, her favourite colour. Every detail about these gifts were so perfectly tailored to Valentina and it was only from her friend, when all the guy she was dating gave her was a card. Valentina got Lance tickets to his favourite baseball team's next game and a ring he had been wanting.

Valentina opened the present from Spencer and it revealed itself to be the book Billy Summers by Stephen King, a book she had been sayings he wanted to read for a long time. "Spence, this is so sweet, thank you."

"It's nothing, really. You deserve a lot more." Valentina bit her lip to keep herself from smiling, but she was failing. She wasn't really used to being shown genuine affection that wasn't riddled with pity. Valentina put the book down on her desk. She knew she had to be straight with Spencer because she wasn't really tearing up because of how happy she was, she was tearing up because of all the reminders of her past.

"Hey, um, would you maybe mind not telling anyone it's my birthday? I don't really celebrate it. And don't get me wrong, I love these gifts, they're all so thoughtful, I can't believe you remembered this stuff, but I'm also not shocked 'cause of the whole eidetic memory thing." Valentina ended with a small laugh, trying to deal with this day lightheartedly, but Spencer could see though it. He was also confused as to why she doesn't celebrate her birthday. "You don't want anyone to know about it?"

"No, I don't want anyone to make a big deal out of it." Turns out that it was a little too late for that. Spencer felt a little bad and wanted to get the bad part of this surprise over with, so he brought her to the conference room where there was a pile of presents and a cake on the table. All of her friends were there and simultaneously yelled, "Happy birthday!"

Hotch was the only one who wasn't there since he does know that she doesn't like her birthday, he also has a lot of work. Spencer could see the incredibly fake smile on her face as the agents all hugged her separately. "Thanks you guys, this is really sweet."

"Oh my gosh, you're twenty-three! How do you feel?" JJ asked as she pulled away from their hug. Valentina didn't like being reminded of her birthday or her age or anything that had to do with this awful day. Everyone was making it worse, but it wasn't their fault. "Happy, I guess."