Ch 2 Part 1: World's Greatest Delivery Boy

Mandy pushed through the massive red door that led to her office. Most of the visitors just assumed that she lived in a candy castle like some fluffy movie princess. In reality, her office was a bland and colorless mess. Forest green wallpaper mixed with a dirty beige carpet. She had one of those drinking bird toys gifted to her when she first got the job. It was the most colorful thing that wasn't currently on her person.

She rolled her eyes and plopped into her seat against a bland brown desk. It was littered with papers that showed various bills, expense charts, and delivery quotas to be met around the park. She wanted to bang her head against the pile of paperwork. The first time she tried that she just got a headache worse than the sugar rushes she and Chester often suffered.

With a heavy sigh, she picked up a ballpoint pen and got to work. Only for her process to get interrupted by a phone call. The flat white office phone's blaring call made her ears ring twice as loud. "Hello?" she groaned into the microphone.

She sat back as a Starr Park executive mumbled into her ear. She blew a massive raspberry until he said something alarming. She sat up and listened closely, her eyes growing twice the size. She hadn't noticed she stopped breathing till she finally managed a response, "Yes, thank you, sir." She nodded her head as he added on to the news. "O-of course,-" she dropped her pen, "Right. We'll stay safe."

She placed the phone back down and rested her head on the desk. How is she supposed to handle that?

~-~--~-~

*jingle**jingle*

Chester placed the final crate onto the cart's trailer. "All done." He flung his massive golden bells out of his face. The playful jingle of his cap was the signal of his arrival. Now it was a sign of his departure.

As he stepped into the wagon he was greeted by the chime from Mandy's front door. His boss/coworker came out with a nervous frown. While they might butt heads he still didn't like to see her like this. Luckily her mood quickly shifted.

"Chester, take that lollipop out of your mouth."

He looked down and noticed he had slipped a sweet between his teeth. He pulled it out with a strong pop, "When'd that get there?"

Mandy couldn't even bother with his stupidity. She stood beside his cart and looked it up and down. It was a standard golf cart with a bit of colorful candy cosmetics to play with the theme. It also had her shop's name on it. Mandy's Rainbow Candy Shop. When Starr Park first pitched the idea of not only being the face of the store but also the namesake, she was excited. Now it just feels ridiculous.

She pinched the bridge of her nose, "Chester, I'm not going to do this with you today. Just finish the deliveries and NO DETOURS."

Chester stuck out his tongue and gave a goofy salute, "Dir ye dir!" His goofy voice didn't get a laugh out of Mandy.

She walked away under purple footsteps. Then turned on a dime, "And one more thing. Do not eat any of the candy this time."

Chester snickered as he turned away, "Oh don't worry. I won't eat any of it... I'll eat ALL of it! Eh-he-he-he." Chester's laughing was interrupted by a tap on his shoulder.

He turned around to the popped-off cap of Mandy's cane. He could smell something sweet inside but he knew whatever was coming wouldn't be savory. He looked down at her and she glared up at him, "If you even eat one minuscule morsel of candy from one of those crates. I will cook you alive in the caramel-izer."

Chester gave a scared smile. The black chevrons under his eyes pointed directly at her face as she pressed the barrel against his chin. "uuuuuhh... dir ye dir?"