35

(Four weeks later)

Aiden's P.O.V

It's Tuesday, and I'm excited because it means there'll probably be a letter from Freya awaiting me. Although these last few weeks, the letters were shorter than usual, and she seemed cryptic. She blamed it on her job and being under the weather, which wouldn't be a surprise considering she lives with an extremely unstable man disguised as a knight in shining armor.

I'm preparing some coffee when my phone rings; it's a FaceTime call from her. It's unsettling because normally she wouldn't call or text unless something happened, and she has found a safe place to do this.

"Freya?" I ask, and my face lights up when I see her. However, she doesn't look fine. I recognize that look: it was the same emotionless, void, and numb expression she had when we were forced to end our relationship.

"Aiden..." Her tone is different as well. This isn't my Freya; this isn't the woman I'm in love with. I know her, and this isn't she.

"What's going on? I thought you weren't able to make FaceTime calls. Are you okay? Is everything alright?"

Before looking at the phone, she looks at something or someone. Little noises can be heard in the background, as if someone was moving furniture around.

"Aiden, I'm afraid we can't keep in touch. I've come to realize that I'm holding you back; you could have a great life with a successful career, a girlfriend or wife. Maybe even kids, one day. You should be happy, Aiden, and I've been standing in the way of that. I can't be this selfish; not to you..." she says in a monotonous voice.

"Freya, this isn't you. What happened? Where are you?"

"This is me; this has always been me. The person you knew doesn't exist; it was a fantasy I created, thinking I could run away from my true nature."

"Freya, I've seen your true nature. You are kind, intelligent, warm, sweet, funny, strong, and resilient; that was no fantasy. That person existed and still does. Can you please tell me what the hell is going on? Do you need me to go and pick you up? Because I will. I don't care who I have to fight if that will keep you safe!"

"I am safe; Aiden. I'm exactly where I have to be and in the company of the person I belong with. This is my life; it has always been my life."

"You don't belong there... You don't belong with someone who's been manipulating you from day one! What...? That's it, Freya. I'm flying to Baltimore, right now."

"Don't. Don't come. Don't ever visit me, Aiden. Do you hear me?" Her adamant voice doesn't even sound like it's hers. "Aiden, I don't want you to see me."

"What...? Why...?"

"Because..." she sighs and leaves the phone as she takes a few steps back; she turns to her side, and there's a very visible bump on her: she's pregnant.

"Are you...? It's his?" I ask, shocked. Of course, it's his; the last time Freya and I met, we took precautions, and even if we hadn't, the math wouldn't make any sense. She wouldn't be showing that much because she wouldn't be that far along; which means she was already pregnant the last time I saw her. I'm holding back the urge to scream, and my voice cracks. "How long have you known this for?"

"Almost a month; I'm fourteen weeks along, Aiden..."

"So, the last time we met... You had been sleeping with him all along?"

"He is my partner; you can't expect me to live under his roof and not to have a certain level of intimacy with him."

"I understand; I just thought..." I'm too defeated to say anything else. "I thought I knew you better than this."