4: Barging in.

~Gemma's POV:~

By the time I had finished paying, Nicholas resumed the step behind me as I looked around the busy shopping center. I wanted to be away from him, his presence was aggravating especially with the comment he made about my mother.
How fucking dare he is all I could think, my whole body pretty much vibrated in anger from the comment of my mother.
Looking around I could see different stores, each area having an exit.
How could I get away from him? I didn't want to be around him, and I knew he would follow, he was literally hired to follow me around by my father.
Why couldn't my fathers' men do it? He had plenty but thinking back on it—most his security followed Leanna around like she was the president or something.
Nicholas followed along, wherever I went he went—going towards the ladies' room I glanced to see him standing there. "You can't follow me in here, it's not meant for you" would he follow me into the bathroom?

Nicholas only looked at the sign on the door before leaning against the wall, crossing his arms. "Be quick" he said.

Nodding my head I stepped inside the well-lit bathroom; a mirror took up space on the wall of the sinks as the stalls were on the other side. I wasn't in here to use the bathroom though; I was here hoping I could find an escape—like in some places there was a window someone could sneak out of. Looking around I let out a sigh seeing there was no window with my get away card attached to it. Flushing the toilet and turning the sink on so suspicion didn't raise, I looked around once more before seeing my attempt was no use.
Getting out of the bathroom, Nicholas said nothing as we began walking again. My heart raced, I needed to be away from him.
Looking in the crowd, I stopped my face going pale—an act, I had to try something. Noticing my gaze, Nicholas tried looking to see what I was seeing. "I-I think that person has been following us" I acted startled, if he didn't buy it he was damn good at acting then.

"Which person?" he glanced into the store he thought I was looking at, his eyes trying to find this danger that wasn't even there.

Not thinking, I slammed my shopping bag into his chest, earning an 'oomph' from the man.
Heart racing, I bolted through the large shopping center, darting around the crowd making sure I was somewhere where it was busy as I ran not daring to stop. I could hear murmurs of people as they noticed me running, some even pulling out their phones to snap photos or videos of me on this run.
Practically sailing around a corner to head outside, I glanced back to make sure Nicholas wasn't following me. Feeling my body hit something firm, I fell back landing on my ass earning a groan from myself. Looking up, I saw Nicholas standing there in front of me. . . How the fuck? Looking around, people took a few photos as the man peered down at me. "How the hell did you catch up, I was getting away!" my voice was clearly unhappy.

"I told you; you could try."

"I don't want you around me" it seemed like he didn't want to be around me either. Seeing as he wasn't going anywhere, I sat myself up a bit. "Can you at least help me up?" wearing a dress today wasn't my finest move.

Nicholas stepped back a step, "get yourself up. . . You got yourself into this mess, princess" there it was, that nickname once again.

Glaring at him as I rose to my feet, surprised he still had the bag I threw at him as he handed it back to me. Muttering my thanks I decided to just start my journey back to my place. Nicholas silently following. Getting into the hallway of my place, I looked at Nicholas as he was a few steps behind me. "I want to talk to Noah" I said flatly.

Nicholas's jaw ticked at that, jealousy? Or was he worried of what Noah would do to him—I didn't care, I didn't want him near me. "It's not that simple" Nicholas said, his tone had a hint of distaste for the thought.

"I don't care, call him right now or I am going to go to my father and tell him to rethink his choices of security."

Nicholas didn't hesitate as he pulled out his phone, dialing a number before pressing it to his ear. I could hear a few rings before the other end picked up. "What is it?" Noah's voice on the other end.

"The girl wants to talk to you, she won't settle for no—I tried telling her you aren't easy to—"

"Bring her to me, Nicholas. I will see her" Noah cut him off, I raised a brow as Nicholas seemed a bit shocked at the thought of his boss just agreeing to see me without a meeting.

Smirking, he motioned me to ditch my bags and follow him, I did just that. Going outside, I noticed Nicholas had a motorcycle parked in the parking lot my father's employees use. "Oh god, you expect me to get on that?" my eyes widened at the thought.

"You wanted to go see Noah, this is what I drive since it's just me. . . Now, are you going to get on?" he handed me the spare helmet he had.

"I-I am wearing a dress!" if I got on that bike, I would be flashing him. Rolling his eyes, he turned and motioned for me to get on. Not wanting to argue more, I did as he said before he sat himself at the front of the bike. "What do I hold onto?" there were no handles for me.

"You sadly hold onto me, princess" he said placing his own helmet over his head.

Reluctantly, I slid my arms around him. He motioned for me to grip tighter, which I did. If he wasn't so annoying I'd most likely appreciating the firmness of his chest beneath my arms. He took off down the streets of the concrete jungle, the wind ripped through the streets as we raced down them, my heart feeling like it would fall out of me as the speed wasn't something I ever expected, I wasn't ever on a motorbike before as my father banned it, so being on one now was something.
Once we pulled into a garage, it seemed we were at the Bad Omens compound, it looked nicely lit as camera's most likely saw us coming in.

Getting off the bike, I tugged my dress down a bit before smoothing it over with my hand that was cold from the wind. "You could have killed me on that thing" I muttered as I followed him inside the home of theirs.

"Well it didn't, you're here" his response was just as empty as my own.

Seeing Nick and Jolly sat at a table, takeout containers in front of them, I hadn't realized just how late it had become. It was easy to lose track of time now that I wasn't up at sunrise or following such a strict schedule.
Nicholas knocked his knuckle on the door, earning a voice on the other end to come in. Stepping inside, he stood off to the side as I entered the office. It was well lit, Noah sat behind an oak desk that was littered with paperwork as his computer screen was now in sleep mode. On one side of the walls he had photos of all of them together, even a few photos of himself holding a woman—her dark hair hung loosely around her shoulders, but she beamed a smile at Noah who looked equally as happy. Another side of the room, behind him, was a window wall that led onto a small balcony that overlooked what seemed to be their training ground. Another was a bookcase filled with books and small items that seemed to be what he collected.
"What can I do for you, Miss Saunders?" Noah's voice pulled me out of thought, turning my gaze to him. I stepped up to his desk.

"I want to speak to you, without him" I glanced back at Nicholas who seemed reluctant, he went to open his mouth, but Noah beat him to the punch-line.

"Very well, Nicholas—I will call you in a few minutes, have a seat out there with Jolly and Nick please." He glared at me before he exited, door slamming behind him. He really was salty about being around me then. "So, what can I do for you? Would you like a drink?" he held up a glass as he stood at what seemed to be a small bar in his office.

Shaking my head I took a seat on the cherry-colored leather seat in front of his desk, crossing one leg over the other as lady like as I could while I played with the edge of my dress, it was weird being in someone else's office that wasn't my father's. "No, thank you—not really in the mood to accept drinks after what nearly happened."

Noah seemed to understand as he placed the glass he had for me back down on the table before pouring himself something. "Miss Saunders did something happen?"

"Please. . . Call me Gemma, I don't really want to be called that" it made me feel more professional, and I had that title my whole life, I needed to be called Gemma or else I might lose it on everything.

"Right. . . Gemma, what brought you here?" he took a seat back at his desk placing his glass to the side before resting his hands together on the desk.

"Ugh. . . I want another guard, a different one—I know my father hired you guys and that's fine and all, but he literally won't talk to me, and when I do get a few words from him it's like trying to pull a nail that won't come out of the wall, he's rude and he calls me names."

Noah thought for a moment. "I wish I could Miss—" he caught himself, "Gemma. But I am afraid Nicholas is all I have at the moment, I assure you he will be great fit as your guard—he takes the job very seriously and your life is important to him" I knew this was Noah just trying to make sure I didn't go to my father, I wasn't that type of girl—I was never daddy's girl as the media puts it.

"So I am stuck with him?" I sighed running my fingers over my brow bone.

"Let me talk to him, see what I can do. . . Is there a number I can reach you at, or if you need to get a hold of me?" his voice was calm.

Realizing I had barged in on his time, I felt bad—maybe I should have scheduled a meeting like Nicholas said, instead I was so angry I just felt blind to it all. "Sure, I'll give you my number. . . I am sorry for barging in, by the way" I said writing down my number for him.

"No don't be, if you'd like to wait with the others, I am sure they can show you the compound layout while I speak to Nicholas."

Chewing my lip, I stood from my spot nodding my head, reaching for the door I looked back at Noah who watched. "I am sorry, please don't get too mad at him" he seemed surprised at that, and at that. . . I left.

~Nicholas's POV:~

"You're in so much fucking trouble" Jolly laughed eating out of one of the containers. His hair tied in a bun behind him as his glasses rested on the bridge of his nose.

Nick nodded in agreement looking up from what he was doing. "No fucking kidding, few days with her and she's already getting your ass handed to you, can't you handle a princess?" he joked earning a laugh from Jolly.

Glaring at the two men, I watched the door—Noah's office was pretty much soundproof for privacy reasons. What ever was going on in there, I wasn't going to know until she walked out or if he beckoned me in. "She is a spoilt brat, that's what she is. . . She took me everywhere today, to get her nails done and to do shopping—she even spoke about information, she's too trusting" she could have told someone her darkest secrets for all I knew.

"You know, shopping isn't that bad, from what I seen from media it's always her standing by her father in clothing that doesn't even seem like her, she has a sense of freedom in a way right now, Nicholas. . . Maybe she wants to enjoy it while she can?" Jolly was reasoning, and I hated him for it because he was most likely right.

"Tell me she deserves it after what happened to my family" I barked back earning silence from the two.

None of them said anything to me after that. I waited, and after a few minutes, out came Gemma as Noah's voice behind her called my name. Her green eyes fixed on me as she stepped past, stopping slightly before saying—"I'm sorry" and heading towards where Jolly and Nick sat.

Closing the office door behind myself, I stepped up to the desk. It was quiet, which told me the tension was about to snap and I was in for it. "I told you not to fuck this up" Noah's voice was deadly as his brown eyes darkened. "Not only do you piss her off, but you did it in fucking public, it's a good thing she wanted to meet with me because I would have dragged you by the fucking ear" what was he talking about.

"Noah?"

"Don't fucking Noah me, have you seen this?" he turned his computer screen which showed videos and photos of when Gemma ran in the mall, and the last video was when I knocked her back on her ass, I hadn't realized that so many people were recording.

Not knowing what to do, I gulped as I looked at Noah, he was angry, and it was understandable because he was going to have to explain this to her father. "I'm sorry, she wants someone else to protect her" god I wanted someone else to protect her, I didn't even want to be near her.

"No"

"No?"

"I told Gemma no, you are going to protect her, and you are going to be nice to her, so help me Nicholas if this happens again I swear I will find a punishment harsh enough" and he would, he wouldn't abuse his power, or his workers but if we fucked up, he would let us know that we fucked up he wasn't shy of that.

Licking my lips, I held my arms out in front of me. "I don't know what else to do, I stand watch and I follow her around."

"That girl has been locked away her whole life, she probably doesn't even know what to do with herself now that she has this freedom, you are going to be nice to her, you are going to listen to her, and you are not going to argue with her on choices. Keep her happy, we need that in for the compound and she is us in, or did you forget that?"

He was meaning so we can see what files her father had, Noah had a suspicion about her father, and if it was correct then this would be huge for the case we have, when it came to protecting The Grey and those around it or tied in it, Noah didn't mess around not when there were so many other groups trying to get hold of it as well, we knew The Ravens were trying but we heard rumours of Storm and MIND also trying as well. "So, I do as she says, like her pet—got it" I said, my voice feeling a bit defeated.

Noah seemed to notice that too, sitting back in his seat before a long sigh escaped his lips. "You know, she told me to go easy on you. . ."

Brow's furrowing, I didn't know what to say? "Oh?" I managed.

"She felt bad, she apologized for barging in, telling me she should have listened to you—she can reach me now if there is a problem, but Nicholas she felt bad for you. . . Maybe you need to give her a chance? She doesn't seem to be like her father."

Images of my family flashed before me as that wall that I had, rebuilt. Noah must have seen that as he looked at me, expression full of worry. "I won't upset the princess anymore, are we done?" I didn't want to hear more about him telling me to be nice to her, or she wasn't like her father, I didn't care, and I didn't want to care.

Nodding his head, he looked at me once more. "We're done, you're excused" and with that I headed out into the other room. Gemma's gaze turned from the two men around her, eyes sparkling as if she had been laughing with them as the edges of her lips were curved upward.
I didn't want to care.