Why? Part 10 (Last Chapter)

Start from the beginning

"My family is you, Master Damian. I lost mine due to the war that happened twenty years ago. My dad was a soldier and got killed after one of the enemies shot him. My mum couldn't stand losing him and she passed away due to an overdose. His death blinded her, and she never thought of what would happen to me if she died. Honestly, I don't blame her. My father was her partner; he was the love of her life and the only man that she looked at in the whole world. She was so attached to him... I wasn't there when the tragedy happened because I was in the Desmond mansion back then. At the age of seven, I was being trained to be a butler. I did some gardening at the time and your father trained me in self defense. I used to play with your brother too. And despite my parents' tragic death, I felt secure under the wings of your family."

Okay... That was a real bomb.

I knew that he worked for my family since forever, but I didn't think that his past was that painful. I mean, I was surprised that although he suffered a lot during his childhood, he managed to grow up so strong. I felt sorry toward him. Not pity, but hearing him telling his story made me realize that my life problems were nothing compared to his. I felt stupid to think that my life was cruel. Dude, look at his!

I found myself reaching for him to hug him. I wrapped my hands around his waist standing on my tiptoes. Damn, I hate that I am so short. He looked taken aback by my reaction, but wrapped his hands around my back either way. A smile showed on his lips as he said:

"Don't be sorry. I'm really happy having you as my family."

•°•°•

It took us almost an hour and a half to reach Hugaria, our destination. It was a country bordering the south-east of Ostania. Its capital Obda did have breathtaking landscapes, beautiful nature and a huge population. Thankfully, the people there were mostly cheerful and the weather was warm, that's what I've learnt from Jeeve during the flight.

Life in Hugaria was so simple. And everyone seemed happy. Life was peaceful because it was the only country that wasn't damaged by the war between East and West twenty years ago .

After taking our bags and doing the check in procedures, we finally left the airport. We took a cab to our apartment. The ride to the complex, where I'll be living with Jeeve, was mostly silent. I didn't like talking in others' cars and the driver of this cab didn't seem to be in the mood at all; He rudely took the address that Jeeve handed him and started driving mumbling curses under his breath. I wondered what his problem was. Judging by his looks, he appeared to be in his early forties, his forehead was wrinkled and he had a thick beard. His forearms were tattooed and there was a big scar on his face that went down his neck. He stank with tobacco. Given the number of the used cigarettes he had tossed in the car drawer next to him, it appeared that he had smoked more than one packet since this morning. I was certain that he was a troublemaker, after all nothing good comes with this type of man. I'd made a mental note not to run into this man again and stay away from him as much as I could. He sent chills down my body the whole 30 minutes drive that we had and I almost kissed the soil once we descended the vehicle when we reached the building.

We took the elevator to the 4th floor, and went straight to the end of the hall until we reached door number 141, the door of our apartment. Jeeve quickly opened it and I let out a sigh of relief as I laid my tired body on the bed of my new room. I found my muscles relaxing, and soon my eyes closed. All the stress that I had for the previous 24 hours left me for the first time and I felt a sense of security being in this city.

•°•°•

Waking up from the nap that I took, I felt refreshed. It was as if I had my first sleep in a hundred years. The bed was so comfortable and the pillow was soft, much to my appreciation. I looked at the clock that was put on the nightstand table beside me and was startled. What! 5:34 pm? It was odd since I'd never slept more than one hour when taking a nap. I jumped from my bed and quickly changed into my gray sweat pants and white tank top. I couldn't believe that I slept with the clothes that I traveled with on.