"Sit, quickly," she orders, pointing to the small round dining table in the centre of the room.

We oblige her, pulling out our chairs before slipping into them.

"I need evidence of your ancestors," Sire demands.

She sighs, gets up and disappears into an adjoining room. When she returns, she has three books, a few pieces of paper and an old ring. She dumps it onto the table in front of Sire.

"Here." She falls back into her chair. "This is their original magic, and this is how they amplified it to curse you. That ring has their original emblem, and those letters show how the head witch called to her clan to join the fight against you."

Nothing shifts in his expression as he turns the ring over, before moving on to the letters, taking his time to read them. My mouth falls open a little. These are ancient relics, something Hazel would go crazy over.

"Interesting," he murmurs, turning his attention to the book. He flips it open, and sure enough, written in the witches language, is what must be an accumulation of spells that no one should have their hands on except an ancestor of one of those witches.

Kimsa is most definitely telling the truth.

"You probably think I should burn it, so it can't be done again," she murmurs, staring at the book, a wistful look in her eyes.

Sire shakes his head. "It doesn't matter. Alpha Carran has access to witches with similar power. Keep your history."

"Now is the part where I tell you about how to end the curse," she muses, looking between the two of us.

I stiffen. I'm afraid she is going to tell us that one of us has to die, that the bond must be served. Or maybe we have to fight some ancient creature that dwells in some cave in the middle of nowhere.

"What is it?" I ask warily.

"I heard you arguing, so perhaps this is now going to please you." She raises a dark brow at us.

I sigh through my nose. "Just tell us."

She chews on her lower lip, narrowing her pale blue eyes. She seems apprehensive about sharing this information with us, like we may be offended by it.

"You must become aligned," she says carefully.

I frown. "What does that mean?"

I glance at Sire to see he isn't nearly as confused as I am. His eyes are slightly wide and he's stiffened to the point where it looks like it hurts.

"It is a term witches use. You must have a holy ceremony at the sacred site, and each step must be done according to our lore. No one but witches usually align, and it's for love, always." Kimsa tells us.

Actually, she tells me, because it's clear Sire knows exactly what this is.

An uncomfortable feeling settles in my stomach.

"Why?"

"You wolves have mates, you don't have ceremonies, but us witches do," she says. "My ancestors likely added this additional step thinking there is no way you would accidentally do it."

My head falls into my hands. "What are the consequences of this ceremony?"

"According to witches, it binds a pair forever. It will have certain effects on Sire's magic, and you will carry this with you both forever. When you are apart, you will notice it, and you will feel a connection beyond your mate bond that is rather overwhelming." She rubs the back of her neck, suddenly unable to meet either of our gaze.

"I doubt they expected their own ancestor to reveal their secret," Sire exclaims gruffly.

"No, but times change. I don't believe in needless death," she mutters flippantly.