The Work Is Never Done Part 2

"Baby?" 

"Huh?" Luke groaned, rolling over. He saw Tessa standing next to the bed, pacing back and forth as rubbed her massive belly. She was larger this time around than she was with their firstborn. Two was their magic number this year. Their first child, Miles, just turned two, it was their two-year anniversary, and now they were pregnant with twins. Luke was prepared this time. Since Miles was born and they found out they were pregnant again, he studied every home delivery technique there was. He learned how to look for signs of labor, how to help his laboring wife, and what to do in case of emergency. Tessa was deadset on having an unassisted home birth this time around. No craziness trying to deliver at the office. Their midwife assured them it was safe since they did just a great job with what they had. They would be even better with being ready.  And by the slight wince of her face and the sheen of sweat on her skin, she was ready. Sitting up, he looked at her with excited eyes. "Babies?" 

"Babies," she nodded with a smile, cupping the bottom of her massive belly. 

"You okay?" he asked, moving to stand up. 

Tessa nodded, a look of calm and serenity on her face as she gently swayed her hips. "Yeah...For some reason, I feel so calm and at ease. Like I know I'm safe. I'm here with you, in our own home. Can you call Mom to come get Miles? I don't want to wake up him when things get too intense." 

Lukas nodded, slipping on a pair of sweats. "Sure, baby..." 

"And can you get my labor gown out of the closet? I want change." 

"Sure..."

"Ow..." Tessa hissed, leaning over. She placed her hands on the edge of the bed, rocking her hips from side to side. Lukas went up behind her, pressing his bare back to her clothed one. Wrapping his arms around her, he rubbed her belly in slow circles as he kissed the side of her neck. "Deep breaths babies..." 

"Hmmm," Tessa moaned, feeling calm as the contraction grew and then faded. 

Lukas felt the contraction ease as her rock-hard belly softened once more. Tessa moved to rub her belly again, still swaying gently with Lukas right behind her. She could feel the babies still up in her belly, moving down very slowly. "These babies are taking their sweet time," she sighed. 

Lukas chuckled. "Yeah? No quick birth like Miles, huh?" 

"I hope not. Those second-degree tears from his shoulders weren't fun." Miles ended up weighing 9.5 lbs at birth. Each baby now was estimated to be seven to eight pounds.  "Speaking of tears, after Mom leaves, can you help me shower, and do a last-minute massage?" 

"Of course, baby. Let's get you changed first. Then I'll go get him ready and call Mom."

"Okay...I'm gonna lie down for a bit while I wait. Can you set a towel down in case my water breaks?"

"Sure..." Luke nodded, going to their large bathroom. Placing a few towels in their new towel warmer, he came back and set one on the bed. Tessa stripped off the pants and tank she wore, slipping on the blue and grey gown she purchased for this moment. It reached her knees and was open in the middle, letting her giant belly be free. Lukas helped her lay down, rolling her onto her side and placed a towel-protected pillow between her knees and under her belly. "Comfy?"

Tessa grinned and nodded. "Comfy cozy. Can you bring Miles in here before he leaves? I wanna give him goodbye kisses." 

"Sure, baby." 

Tessa closed her eyes, hearing Lukas leave as she focused on her body. She could tell that Baby A was sliding down downer. Being in her own home was better for her laboring body, her body relaxing as she rode through contractions with gentle moans and hums. Five more contractions came until Luke came back in with Miles. "Hey...My mom is here. Here's your baby boy."