Hatred

One time, when I was very small, my best friend tried to curl my eyelashes because I was jealous of her.

She brought her index fingers to my eyelashes and pushed them back for two minutes. I waited patiently for her to let go so I could see whether it had worked. She was so pretty, I wanted my eyelashes to look like hers so I could be pretty too. I lived in Guatemala at the time, and most of us (Guatemalans) are dark skinned, with dark eyes, and dark hair. She was blonde with light skin and green eyes. She looked like an angel to me.

She was smiling right up to the moment when she let go. Her smile fell and she pursed her lips in thought. I asked if it'd worked and, since it hadn't, got embarrassed that my eyelashes must be broken. We ate lunch in the grass area and tried to come up with a plan to curl my eyelashes. We thought of taping them back, making sure they stayed bent. When we filed into class and asked the teacher for tape, our plans fell through. She wasn't going to let my best friend tape my eyelashes. She was obviously mad that she hadn't come up with it herself. So we went about our day, trying to come up with another solution. We failed, and in the end we forgot about it because we saw a firefighter and it was obviously a very big deal because he was a real life hero.