one

"You're dead, Sorrengail,"

꧁༺ ༻꧂

   Conscription Day is always the deadliest. Maybe that's why the sunrise is especially beautiful this morning— because Aeron thought it might be her last. Or not, because dealing with Xaden Riorson instead of flying her dragon would be the death of her.

   Aeron Ravencrest, a name born from glory. At least her last name does, as the Ravencrest have been known to be powerful or resilient dragon riders.

   Her mother— War General Rowena and her brother Nikolai were proof of that.

"How many do you think will make it through?" A familiar voice asked from next to her.

Aeron sighed tiredly, as she glanced around the other end of the Parapet.

A narrow bridge that was eighteen inches wide, overlooking a large ravine below. It was the first test the Rider's Quadrant had for the first years to get through.

"It doesn't matter, as long as we get a good handful and we get them through the year, Dain," Aeron replied turning to him as he rolled his eyes at her answer.

   "I'll be inside, I need to finish a few other things,"

   Aeron nodded her head at the man, watching as he left before another figure took his space next to her.

Aeron nodded at her brother, greeting each other silently as they turn their attention to the first years waiting to cross the Parapet.

"I have to tell you something,"

"Don't tell me I have to partner up with Riorson again during combat, Niko," Aeron groaned in annoyance, hoping that he wouldn't say exactly what she was dreading.

"No— Well maybe, I haven't checked the partner sheet," Nikolai replied, smirking as he watched his sister pretend to cry as she wiped nonexistent tears off her face.

"Ugh, okay what is that you needed to tell me?" Aeron asked, bringing the topic back before huffing once more at the thought of sparring with Riorson.

"You're next, Sorrengail!" A voice bellows from the parapet.

The Ravencrest siblings dart their attention toward the familiar name called out, before their eyes widened at the scene.

"Violet?!" Aeron exclaimed worriedly, watching as a man twice the short silver haired girl in front of hum chase her with rapid speed.