Chapter 6

In the dimly lit room, the peaceful silence was abruptly disrupted by a soft whimper. Musa's ears perked up, immediately alert to the sound. He shifted his body, sitting up straight on the sofa, his expression filled with concern and anticipation.

As Maryam stirred, her eyelids fluttered, struggling to peel open. Musa's gaze remained fixed on her, patiently awaiting her awakening. The room held an air of anticipation as the little girl gradually regained consciousness.

         Maryam's body ached all over, as if it had been brutally struck by a powerful force. With considerable effort, she managed to pry her heavy eyelids open and gingerly sat up on the unfamiliar bed. Her surroundings were strange and unfamiliar, leaving her momentarily disoriented.

     As her gaze wandered around the room, confusion etched across her face, it eventually settled on the figure seated on the sofa. Suddenly, her heart skipped a beat as recognition washed over her. It was Musa abaan shah.

    The sight of Musa sitting there, his commanding presence and strong aura, made Maryam slightly intimidated. Every fiber of his being seemed to demand attention and respect. She racked her brain, trying to understand why she would end up in this unfamiliar place. The last thing she remembered was approaching someone for assistance, then the world around her fading into darkness. Realization hit her like a wave, causing her eyes to widen with astonishment - it was Musa himself whom she had turned to for help.

      'How are you feeling now?'

          Musa spoke before her thoughts could go haywire.

     'M..me me kaha hu?'
      'Where am i?'

      She asked ignoring his first question. She was alone inside a room with a man. The idea of  being alone with him in such a close proximity didnt sit well with her. If her father saw this he would wreck a havoc.

     The way she answered his question with a question angered musa, but he decided to keep his calm for the sake of her shaken up condition.

              'Beta aap safe hain. Kia aap bata sakti hain k exactly kia hwa tha?'
           (You are safe kid. Can you tell me what had happened exactly)

           Maryam's lower lip trembled remembering the way that man had clutched her arm and how they had ran after her. Although her father was vocally abusive but he had never treated her so harshly.

     She took a deep breath and explained to him the entire fiasco.

          As Musa listened to Maryam's harrowing account, his emotions bubbled beneath the surface, threatening to overcome him. He felt his fist involuntarily tighten, his anger simmering just below the surface. However, he quickly reminded himself of the importance of maintaining composure in this moment. He didn't want to further distress the already shaken young woman by displaying his rage.

Musa couldn't help but imagine the grim possibilities had he not coincidentally been in the parking lot, answering that urgent call.

     Musa stood up and walked towards the side table. He grabbed the jug and filled a glass with water. Holding the glass in his hand, he approached the shaken up girl and motioned for her to drink.

              Maryam took the glass from Musa and started to drink. As she took a few sips, a pang of panic shot through her as she realized that her father had specifically instructed her to meet him outside the gate by 10 o'clock. Her heart raced at the thought of being late, knowing that she would be in deep trouble if even a minute passed beyond 10 o'clock.

     Putting the glass aside. She asked musa in a panicking voice.

     'time kia ho raha hai?'
   (what is the time?)

     Musa looked at the girl scrutinisingly trying to figure out the reason behind her panicked state.

     'Its almost 10 bache'

     Listening to the time she panicked and instantly stood up from the bed.

        Looking at the panicked state of the girl musa became confused. 'what is it now' he thought frustratingly.

     'Uncle mje jana hai mre baba bht gusa kregy agr me late gyi to'
   (Uncle i have to go my father will get angry if I go late)

     Uncle?' Before musa could ask her anything she was out of the room running towards the main gate out of musa's sight.

     Having enough of her drama, he swiftly left the room to meet with the Vice Chancellor and arrange for the food samples to be sent for testing. He couldn't wait for this night to be over and done with, hoping it would bring an end to the chaos.

Meanwhile, Maryam hurriedly dashed out of the room, her breath coming in ragged gasps as she reached the main gate. She stopped abruptly, her chest heaving heavily from the exertion.

        She could see her father's car coming from a distance and thanked Allah for making her reach on time.

Her father pulled over on the pavement and she walked with hurried steps to open the door and get inside.

Reaching home she directly went inside her room to change. She was removing her jewellery when she heard her father shout rudely. Well that man had hardly ever talked like a civilised human being.

'Jab pata hai k wo nahi khata sookhi roti to is orat ko chahiye tha k tazi bana deti'
(When this woman knows that he doesn't eat stale bread then she should have cooked fresh bread for him)

Hearing that she frowned. Who was he talking about now. Her brother? Maryam thought as she came out of her room into the hall to see what was happening.

She saw her mother laying on the charpai distressed. Her mother had been ill for a while now. She was perfectly fine in the mornings but would become sick with fever on evenings.

'Bezuban janwar k koe ehsas hi ni hai is orat ko jesi gandi niyat ki sth ai thi ye orat wese ki wesi hi hai'
(She has no sympathy for that tongueless animal. This woman is same as she had come with her dirty thinking)

Maryam closed her eyes in anger. He was talking about their dog. She was not surprised to see him care more about the dog than his wife. Her father was a complex creature. She had a love hate relationship with him. He was an okay father but a shitty husband.

She felt herself getting anxious, there was no point of intervening it will only worsen the situation, after asking her mother if she needed anything, feeling tired she went back in her room to sleep.