Chapter 21

Nothing would've prepared me for the events that had occurred only a day ago. I woke up in the early hours of the morning, dazed and confused. I had a strange dream, where I was back in the New York laboratory, and it was just as ruined as ever. I was walking down the halls, in my human form yet again. As I turned a corner, I saw the same tall half Kaiju, half man in a small room. He was looking down at a man with stubble, white skin and slicked back light brown hair. He was wearing dark clothing, along with what looked to be a black trenchcoat. On his nose was a noticeable white bandage, and on the floor next to him was a duffel bag. Though I couldn't hear them, the two were conversing with each other. Standing behind the man was what looked to be a Nightcrawler. What was going on? What was happening? As I looked on, the man reached into the duffel bag and pulled out what looked like an automatic weapon. He turned around and shot the Nightcrawler behind him. Then he turned around again and shot the Kaiju-Man. He fell to the ground, and the man with stubble walked over towards him with a pistol. Then, my vision became blurry for a little bit. I watched as the strange Kaiju-man mix was lying down on the floor in pain, with multiple bullet wounds in his body. He spoke for a little bit, before getting shot in the head by the man in the trenchcoat. Shortly after, I woke up in my bed to a small shaking sensation. It continued for another two seconds before it stopped. I looked around for a bit, before I rested my head on the pillow again.

Waking up the next morning and turning on the news, this was the last thing I was expecting to see on the news in my lifetime. As it turns out, a major earthquake that had effected the entire world wasn't the biggest problem in the world right now, it was the things that climbed out of some of the cracks. In certain parts of the world, Gootraxians climbed out of the cracks and ran out to infect anyone nearby who was watching as they emerged from the cracks. There was some footage of a team of both military and Laminax forces in a small town outside of Nagoya, shooting a horde of Kaiju's in one sweep, though the footage paused before they actually fired, and the audio still played afterwards. I watched with a strange emotional mix of horror and curiosity. After all these years, Laminax could no longer hide the Gootraxians existence. Then, a thought popped into my brain, which caused me to jump out of my seat and jog over to the door, knocking on it. If the Gootraxians were now known by the world, this surely meant I could return to my family, right? Before I could knock on it, the door opened by itself, and Adrew was standing in front of my, with Gustav standing behind him. "Follow, me, Oliver." Richard said with a tired tone in his voice. I did so, and we were in the conference room again. "Oliver, I am sure that you heard the news this morning." Richard said as he sat down on a leather chair, rubbing his eyes. "Well, yeah, some of it. I'm still a little confused, though. What happened?" I asked. Richard sighed a little and said "Well, it appears that during the late hours of the night, either during 11:00 or 10:00 at night, an earthquake occurred, the details are still a little sketchy. But this caused major damages to cities around the world, particularly in countries where they are prone to earthquakes. Then, although rare, Gootraxians were said to have emerged from the cracks and infected anyone nearby. The situation is... well, terrifying, to put it simply. Now Laminax is under severe investigation, and the CEO of Laminax, Pete Henderson is facing multiple inquiries. We can no longer hide the Gootraxians existence." I was silent for a moment, processing the fact that I may be allowed to leave. But I didn't mention it. Not yet at least. I then thought about the many countries that were affected by the earthquake, so I asked about that as well. "Well, the countries that were affected were Indonesia, Nepal, Haiti, Japan, Mexico, Chile, the Philippines, Pakistan and Iran. After Laminax's many past donations to UNICEF and the UN, Laminax has agreed to help and donate money for humanitarian aid in the countries affected. Many of our workers here were sent to Mexico City to help with the crisis they are experiencing down there, which is why you saw a lack of workers on the way up here. We have volunteers all over the world helping with the aid, and high calorie foods are being manufactured and sent away to the countries who need it most. And with all this, with all the investigations..." Richard stopped speaking. "Does... this mean I get to return to the public? I don't see how Laminax it getting out of this now. I think that... I think that this means I can see my family again, see the outside world again." I said. Richard shook his head and said "Well, both the media and the public are still processing about what exactly the Gootraxians are, and with them being told they are infectious killing machines; I doubt they'll be friendly to you right away once you go back to public. Plus, before you can do that, you'll need to stay here for at least another week before you can leave. And after that week, you'll need to fly to Seattle for a mental evaluation to see if you are ready to return to public, without any wild, instinctive thoughts within your head. We are taking it one day at a time here. We don't want to release all the classified information at once and cause mass confusion. And as much as I would like to tell you it'll be fine once you're released, it won't be an easy return to society. People will most likely be against you being in society again. I'm sorry, Oliver. I hope you understand." I was silent for a moment longer, then I nodded my head and said, "I understand, Richard."