Chapter 3 - Fitting In

Start from the beginning

Then finally after month's of waiting my time came. On October 21st we played Reading at home. Around the 58th minute Joe told me to start warming up and in the 63rd minute I finally got subbed on for Beth. After jumping three times then hugging Beth I ran on to the field to make my first ever professional appearance in a number 8 Arsenal kit. The game ended as a 6-0 victory for us Viv with another hattrick and Daan, Beth, and Jordan each putting one away. I got credited for an assist to Viv. Around the 80th minute I got the ball on a transition and made my way down the right side of the field. Then crossed the ball in for a perfect tap in by Viv. I can play both as a 9 and a 10 but that game I played as a 10 which was nice. 

After the game the girls gathered around me and congratulated me for my debut. It was great how supportive the girls were and the more I spent time with them the more like family they felt. We decided to head to a restaurant after the game to celebrate our win then headed home after a few hours.

Before going to bed I checked my phone one last time but realized that I had yet to receive a text I had been waiting for. Didn't my father care that I had finally made my debut? Isn't this what he had wanted all along? Pushed me so hard to achieve? I shut off my phone trying to forget about him and focus on the fact that after so long I had been able to play with my team. I went to sleep with the nagging thought still in the back of my mind. How could I impress this man? Finally make him proud of me?

In our next game we played Bristol City and I made yet another appearance, this time subbing on at halftime as a 9 for Viv. I got another assist that game this time a chip over for Daan. That game ended as a 4-0 victory to us. 

We played Birmingham City at home before our international break. We won that game 3-1 but I didn't make an appearance that game. The next day I headed to the airport to catch a flight back to the US for a match with our U-19 squad against Canada. We played 2 matches against them our first one ending in a 2-2 draw I scored one and assisted one. We won our second match against them 3-0 I scored 2 in the first half. Overall a pretty good international break. 

We played Everton when everyone got back. After a frustrating first half we were finally able to put one away thanks to Daan. After that Viv scored two and Jordan got herself one too just before going down in the last few minutes. She went down in pain clutching her knee and was stretchered off. We got conformation that she had sustained an ACL injury. That was a big blow to us, having both Jordan and Kim out at the same time, they were both incredible players and our lineup would inevitably be changed. We still won that game comfortably 4-0. 

We then played Brighten & Hove Albion. Despite scoring first early in the game they were unable to end out 9 game winning streak. We won the game 4-1. 

On the second of December we travelled up to Manchester to play Manchester City. Due to some injuries and unexpected illnesses I actually made a surprising start that game. As expected the game didn't go exactly how we wanted. Because we were missing so many players we had 3 first ever starts including me. Georgia Stanway put two away against us in the first half. In the 84th minute we had a breakaway opportunity Jill chipped it over one of City's defender and the ball landed at my feet I sprinted towards the City keeper and slotted it towards the left bottom corner. Somehow the ball slipped through the keepers legs and ended in the back of the net. My teammates jumped on me celebrating my first ever goal. After a few seconds I shook them off reminding them that we had only a few minutes to get back another goal. Sadly we ran out of time and our 9 game winning streak ended in a 1-2 defeat. But what a memorable game that was. The girls surrounded me after the game giving me hugs and patting me on my head. I shook hands with the girls on the opposing team and most of them congratulated me on my goal. 

That night on our way back on the bus I received a text that I had been hoping for. But as soon as I opened it I regretting wishing for it as it did anything but make me happy.

Dad

Saw your goal. Would have looked more
impressive if you had chipped the keeper.

                                                                                                                                                   Well I still scored didn't I?

Yes but anyone could do that. Keep working

He was so frustrating to talk to. I just wanted to yell at him. I had scored couldn't he just for once be proud of me and complement me?!?! Couldn't he for once be happy for me? 

I slammed my phone down on the table in front of me a little harder than I meant. Viv looked up at me. "You good Ray?" This was the nickname that the girls had given me. 

I just nodded at her and closed my eyes with a sigh. 

Breaking News!!!! Young striker Rhaina Van Haan scores first ever professional goal in first ever start for Arsenal. 
Van Haan recently became the youngest player to sign then debut for a professional club a while ago, she also became the youngest player to have an assist which she accomplished in her debut. Tonight she broke yet another record. Days before her 14th birthday the young phenom made a surprising start to the injury riddled side. Despite the numerous amount of injuries in the squad Van Haan has only had two previous appearances for the club. The young striker found the back of the net in the 84th minute, slotting the ball past Manchester City goalkeeper Ellie Roebuck. Despite her goal Van Haan was not able to help her side win the match. Manchester City have been the first side able to fight off the Gunners snapping Arsenal's 9 league game win streak. Will Arsenal find a way to fight back from this first loss of the season? Or will their constant injuries see them losing more games? 

We were able to bounce back from our loss with a 5 nil victory over Charlton Athletic and a 3-1 victory against Millwall Lionesses. I played in both games, starting in the game against Millwall. 

We ended the year with the top spot in our group in the League Cup and making it into the playoffs. We also ended the year at the top of the league topping City with a better goal differential. 

Short chapter today sorry. Hope you guys liked it though. I know I put a quote at the beginning of the chapter last chapter but I don't think I'm going to keep doing that unless you guys want me to. Also I know that Jordan wears number 8 but I'm just going to have her wear number 18 instead so that Rhaina can have number 8. From now on its mostly going to be Rhaina's POV so if there isn't anything at the beginning of the chapter just expect it to be her's. The story is going to skim over the next few years so nothing will be too detailed. Also do you guys want me to keep putting the date at the top of the chapter? Or not. 

TTYL

-Quaxel xx