•Chapter 1; Small World

>> Tokyo, Japan,
2018

Of all the creatures she had ever seen, this one was hideous. No, worse than that -

It was revolting.

Mai fought back the tears building in her eyes as she pressed down on the ugly, red pimple festering on her chin. It was as prominent as the snow-capped Fuji and just as hard, it seemed, when the ugly thing refused to just pop already!

Mai groaned and slumped over the ceramic sink, the sleeve of her green pajama sweater sliding down her shoulder. She'd been trying to get rid of this pimple ever since she woke up, which was nearly half an hour ago. She couldn't afford to waste any more time already, least of all today of all days.

The time had come at last, after training under Gojo-Papa-Sensei for a while now, for her to go on her first ever real mission. Of course, since it was her first time, she would be going with her mentor.

If I could just burn it off... no way, no way, no way! That'll leave such a bad scar!

Mai shook her head, causing strands of her pink hair to fall out of her bun into her face. In any case, now wasn't the time for dilly-dallying over such trivial stuff like a pimple. So, after brushing her teeth and running a comb through her hair, Mai quickly went back into her room to get dressed before heading outside of the girls' dorms. A wide grin broke out on her face when she saw her senpai, Zen'in Maki, walking ahead of her, her training spear swinging over her shoulder.

"Maki-senpai!" Mai shouted, opening her arms as she ran up to the older girl. "Maki-senpai!~"

She leaped forward, arms ready to wrap around her from behind - but the older girl stepped to the side, causing the other girl to crash to the ground. Maki looked distasteful down at her junior, eyes narrowed behind her glasses.

"What is it?" She asked. Mai peeled herself off the ground and rubbed her red cheeks. "I told you not to speak to me so early in the morning until you bring my coffee. Did you forget, Satoru Junior?"

"'Course not. But, Maki-senpai, today is my first proper mission!" Mai exclaimed as she jumped to her feet. Maki raised a brow, not taking her quite so seriously since she was so happy. "I'm... going to finally exorcise a real curse!"

Maki blinked... then she paled, realisation dawning on her at last.

She wasn't joking.

Mai yelped when she received a slap to the back of her head. Maki looped their arms together, an irked expression making its way onto her face as she changed directions, dragging the pink-haired girl at her side.

"Idiot..." she mumbled. "A mission isn't something for you to jump around and squeal about. It's an exorcism, not a birthday party. Take it more seriously."

"Y-Yes, ma'am..." Mai mumbled, pouting slightly. "Um, this isn't the direction to the training area...?"

"No," Maki replied without looking at her. Mai tilted her head, confused. "Listen up, Satoru Jr. What I'm going to tell you... is very important. Don't speak until I'm done."

"O-Okay."

"What did I just say?"

"I'm sorry!"

Maki sighed, her glasses glinting under the sunlight as she shook her head. "We've been training together pretty much every single day the last few years and you, a sorcerer with an innate cursed technique, still can't beat me, someone who wasn't born that way, let alone put me on the ground."

"That's because you're so cool and strong, Maki-senpai."

"I know. What I'm trying to say is..." Maki stopped in front of the classrooms and regarded the younger girl with a tense yet calm gaze. Mai blushed when she put a hand on her head. "You're still weak. I don't know who the hell authorised you going on this mission, but you could die, so square up. You're a jujutsu sorcerer!"

"I am!"

"This is your rite of passage!"

"It is!"

"From here on out, there's no time for silly dance parties and ridiculous cooking nights with Panda and Inumaki!"

"There isn't?!"

Mai paled in complete shock. Before she could protest against her senpai's words, the tatami doors of the classroom slid open, revealing Gojo standing in the doorway, a large grin on his face. Behind him, Megumi was already sat at his desk, his chin in hand. His gaze drifted to the door –

What?!

And his eyes just about bulged out of his head when he saw who was standing there.

"Good morning, Mai-Chan, Maki-Chan!" He greeted enthusiastically. A vein throbbed on Maki's face.

"Don't you ever call me that," she said curtly, moving a piece of hair out of her face.

"Good morning, Gojo-Papa-Sensei," Mai greeted with a close-eyed smile.

"No, no. You can't call me that here," Gojo advised. He pat her head, blushing proudly. "Call me that in any possible space, 'specially in front of Nanami and Fushiguro. Come in, come in!~"

"Yes!~"

Maki watched, annoyed as Gojo ushered Mai into the classroom. Their tones were way too cheery for this hour of the day. In any case, the pink-hwired girl wasn't her problem anymore, so she turned around and left.

"Good morning to you, Fushiguro-Sama!" Mai greeted as she sat at her desk beside him. Megumi's scowl deepened.

"How many times are you gonna make me tell you? Quit calling me that. We're equals, start acting like it," he admonished. Mai's eyes sparkled with hope. "Doesn't make us friends, though." She sulked, shoulders slumping in disappointment.