The First Storm

"Grace!"

"What?" I snapped at my mother. The previous day we'd had an argument about my boyfriend. My mother never approved of him or any other guy I liked. My anger at her was still just as strong as the previous day.

"Gracie, please speak to you mother in a more respectful tone," my father said as he made his way out the door. I only rolled my eyes at him.

Life wasn't always like this with my parents. Things were only bad when we had an argument. I would change from my sweet self into a snappy monster. My parents never seemed to mind, though.

"Sweetie, I can tell you're still upset. We'll talk things over more this evening. I love you, and I'll see you later," my mother said with her always gentle and caring smile.

"Whatever!" I snapped, making my way out the door and to my bus.

I stood at the bus stop for three minutes before my bus arrived. I briskly made my way into the bus. I stood at the front, quickly locating my best friend, Vanessa. A small smile made its way onto my face. I quickly made my way to the seat beside my brunette friend.

"Hey Nessie. What's up?" I asked, taking a seat beside her.

"Nothing much!" She chirped overly cheerfully.

"You sound excited. Did you really miss school that much?"

"Oh yeah. You know it. I'd die with out my biggest love: school," she said with a roll of her eyes. One thing you have to learn about Vanessa is that sarcasm is one of her strong points.

I gave out a light laugh, "If it's not school, then what are you excited about?"

"A new hottie moved in next door," she said, a smile consuming her face.

"And you're excited for school because?"

"He's transferring to our school."

The rest of the bus ride went on with random chatting between Vanessa and I. The bus pulled to a stop in front of our school, Clear Lake High School. We, along with many other students, scrambled off the bus. Clear Lake High was a small school, but to the residents of Clear Lake, it was all many of us had ever known.

Vanessa and I stood outside of the school for a moment. I took a deep breath of the fresh air and looked around at all of the familiar faces. Clear Lake was one of those small towns where everyone knew everyone.

"Come on, Gracie! Let's go!"

I let out a small laugh, "Alright, Nessie! I'm going!"

Inside the school, everyone was crowded around a T.V. the principal had brought out. "Hey, Nessie. Do you know what's going on?"

"No clue."

We started to push through the crowd of students. We made it to the front where we found our friend William Bradley.

"Will, what's going on?" I asked him, a feeling of panic rising in my chest.

He only pointed at the T.V. screen, whispering a barely audible, "I'm so sorry."

I was confused until my eyes found the screen. There had been a car wreck. Two death and one injury. The news reporter said, "Twenty-three year old Thomas Ryker was driving drunk and ran a red light. He hit a car of a married couple driving to work. The couple has been identified as Richard and Veronica Longwell. Ryker is in the hospital with minor injuries. The Longwells died on impact."

At those words, my heart stopped. I couldn't believe it. My parents were dead. I had just seen them earlier that morning. Mom and I would have a talk and make up tonight. No. I would never see her kind, smiling face again. I'd never see my father's stern yet kind figure. They were gone forever. I'd lost them. Never in my life had I regretted an argument as much as I did now.

I felt tears well up in my eyes. I lifted my hands to my face. I let the tears flow. Will put an arm around me in a comforting manor, but I didn't feel a thing. I was too numb to think or feel a thing.

Life decides to take a turn and flip my world upside down. It decided I needed a storm, and I hated it for it this time.