A few days later

Carol refused to let me move. She said it was stupid of me to even want to get up when I needed to heal. It was killing me to even sit still because whenever I'd close my eyes all I could see and hear was Daryl. The way his eyes looked into mine during our final moments.

Mika and Lizzie were playing outside when I stood up from the bed that Carol made me promise to not get out from, oops. Carol and Tyreese decided to go on a small run to see what supplies and food they could find. I looked out the small window of this cabin and watched as Lizzie and Mika played, chasing each other around. I let a small smile creep onto my face.

The sound of Judith cooing caused my head to jerk towards the small makeshift playpen that Tyreese had built. It was made out of boxes and blankets found around the house. I doubled checked the small sisters outside one last time before heading over to the little Grimes. I bent down slowly, lifting the perfect life into my arms. Judith has grown but not enough due to lack of food.

I looked into her perfect blue eyes, which were looking all around. I sometimes wondered what it was like to have no idea of the world around you. How much we all went through in order for her to be safe. Lori's face filled my head. The day I rode Nelly in search for her. Her eyes when I told her that Carl was shot. Those eyes were now looking up at me, only this time from Judith.

"Don't worry Lil asskicker, everyone is still alive." I started to bounce her around the room, "Maggie, Beth, Glenn..." I trailed off thinking about them all, "Sasha, Michonne, your brother, your father," Judith's eyes met mine and a perfect smile went on her face. She then pressed her hand on my face. My heart melted as I whispered, "Daryl, everyone is alive and we just have to find them."

Judith stared at me like she was understanding every word that came out of the mouth. Of course she was only about 1 years old but I'd like to believe she could hear me. That the idea of her dad and brother living wasn't too far fetched. My bouncing of the baby came to a halt when I heard a blood curdling scream come from outside.

I snapped my head to view out the window to see Lizzie and Mika being encountered by a walker. I cursed and then sat Judith down in her protected playpen. I snatched Michonne's katana off the chair it was hanging on and ran quickly outside.

My injuries still made it for difficult to run quickly but I used all of my energy to make it over to the girls. I took the sword, slicing it through the air. The walker was inches from Lizzie and she didn't even budge. She didn't even think of moving. I quickly pushed myself between her and the monster and pressed the blade deeply into its skull. As soon as the snarl ended the only sound of was the breeze, birds and Lizzie screaming at me to stop.

I dropped the katana and turned quickly around to bend down to Lizzie level. Tears were pouring out of her eyes as she shook her head and kept yelling at me, "you killed him!"

I grabbed her by both arms and tried to talk sense into her. Mika, her sister, stood a little ways from us just taking in the scene. That's when I remembered the day their day had died. How Mika stopped her from having a panic attack. I searched the grassy field below us before finding some flowers, "Lizzie, it's okay. Just look at the flowers." I pointed at the pretty yellow flowers that surrounded us.

She began to calm down as she took in a couple deep breaths. When the crying stopped, I pulled her into a tight hug and then took in a deep breath. My eyes lingered to the decaying corpse on the ground. Lizzie seeing these things as people, this was dangerous. I mean if I wasn't here, Lizzie would've let that thing bite her. Mika wouldn't of made it.

After these events, we all went back inside of the cabin to wait for Carol and Tyreese to return. I sat in the rocking chair in the corner, Judith asleep in my arms. Lizzie laid on the bed, her eyes closed and I knew how concerned her sister was as she sat next to her, watching her. I rocked back and forth and then spoke softly,