Prologue: The Blessings

Nyx and one of her supervisors walked down one of the many corridors of the expanse of underground tunnels. Nyx looked around warily; she had never been allowed this deep inside the mountain tunnels. She looked up at her supervisor, his vulture mask and broad, stocky frame, he was very intimidating. His name was Kael, but people usually call him K. He was not yet a master of his sect. But close to one, evident by the uniform he wore. He had a firm grip on her hand as they walked through the maze of passageways.

Finally, Nyx laid her eyes on a beautiful expanse of a room. In the center there were statues of the four great birds. Aquila the eagle god, Vulturis the vulture god, and noctua the owl goddess. Nyx's eyes sparkled as she silently fawned over the beauty of the statues. After Nyx finally ended her gazing, she looked around the room, she saw other children around her age, all also holding hands with a supervisor.

Then, he walked through the doors. Erevan, leader of the Avian Doctors. Nyx was frozen with admirance and shock as she stared at the intricate design of his mask. He walked towards the statue tapping the heads of the children with fatherly love. He finally reached the statues, kneeling in quick prayer. Then stood up and addressed the "supervisors" with a warm, yet commanding tone.

"My older children, can you please excuse me and the little ones," Erevan warmly commanded.

Kael released his hold on Nyx's hand and waved good-bye to her. She responded in a slight smile and a wave back. All who was left in the room was Erevan and the children, who looked up at him in wonder.

"Come here, little ones" he softly said.

Most of the children, almost sprinting, dashed to Erevan standing in a messy and clumped line. Nyx and a few other children remembered their training, which had been hammered into them, quietly walked peacefully and gracefully at the end of the amalgamation of a line. Erevan simply chuckled and kindly chastised the rash children of the group. Soon enough a nice, uniform row was made.

Nyx started to wonder why they were here; her question was answered almost immediately.

"Now," Erevan began. "Today is the day, you, my lucky children, will receive your blessings from our great gods!"

With just a glance, you could tell that the children were holding in their utmost excitement. Nyx stared again at the statues. 'Which god will bless me?' she wondered.

"My children, close your eyes, clear your mind, and pray. Pray like you've never have before," Erevan said, the fatherly tone in his voice brushed with excitement.

The children did as they were told. Nyx closed her eyes and prayed the prayers that she'd been praying her whole life. It seemed like an eternity, but then she felt something. Feathers. Lots of them, enveloping her. Shortly, a sharp pain rushed from her left arm. She felt like screaming, but she couldn't. She woke up with a cold sweat. She was in the exact same spot she was before. Her eyes darted around the room. Her heart was pounding in her ears.

"Are you alright, darling?" Erevan's voice calmed Nyx down.

"Y-yes sir..." She nodded in response.

Erevan crouched to get to her height.

"Looks like Corvus took liking to your brain," He smiled as he pointed to her shoulder, where a mark of a black feather sat on her skin.

Nyx looked at the mark, staring in joy and per usual wonder.

"Seems like you were a lucky one," Erevan spoke while standing up. "Seems like one of the deities like you, Corvus' servant Malevolus." He pointed to her left arm.

Nyx then looked at her left arm, where a simple letter M was carved into her wrist. Malevolus, deity of misfortune and curses, had given her a blessing? It wasn't uncommon to receive a second blessing from a deity, but Malevolus was known to be especially picky.

"Children, welcome to the Flock!" Erevan proclaimed in a loud and happy voice.

Nyx smiled brightly pondering the future ahead