Chapter 9: Winter Wormderland I

Start from the beginning

Seemingly unused for a long while, there was a staggering amount of snow piled up in the park. Each step had their feet sinking into the snow up to the ankles. It was snow that solidified easily, so by stomping on the snow piles in your path to make footholds as you went, you could avoid getting snow in your shoes.

Reaching a bluish-green jungle gym, Hiyori went up without hesitation. She sat at the top, went "it's cold, it's cold" as she warmed her hands with her breath, then looked down at Ayanokouji below and grinned proudly.

Ayanokouji timidly touched the jungle gym. And brushing away snow to avoid slipping off, he carefully climbed up to sit next to Hiyori.

He hadn't climbed a jungle gym since grade school. The two were silent for a while, enjoying the nostalgic yet fresh sensation. Just by having a view a mere two or three meters higher, the world looked somehow different from usual. The snow in the park absorbed the moonlight and glowed a pale white.

After some time, Hiyori broke the silence.
"Mr. Ayanokouji, do you remember the Diplozoon paradoxum I told you about earlier?"

"Of course I remember. Looks like a butterfly, fateful love at first sight, lifelong copulation, love is blind, two peas in a pod?"

"Fantastic." Hiyori brought her hands together and smiled. Then she continued.

"Hey, Mr. Ayanokouji, have you ever thought about this?"

Maybe my whole life, I won't have anyone to call my partner.

Maybe I'll die without ever being in love with someone.

Maybe when I die, there'll be no one to shed tears for me.

"I'm not D. paradoxum, so sometimes before I fall asleep, I think about things like that," Hiyori said casually without any emotion.

"Do you understand those feelings, Mr. Ayanokouji?"

Ayanokouji nodded deeply. "I'm always thinking about that kind of thing. When I'm walking around and see a perfectly happy-looking married couple, I really think about it. "That's probably something I'll never have all my life." It makes me unbearably sad to think so." Then he took a breath and made an addition. "But I don't think you need to think about things like that, Hiyori. You're still much younger than me, and clever, and honestly, good-looking. You have plenty of things to make up for your faults. I'm sure there's no reason to get pessimistic so soon."

Hiyori slowly shook her head. "Mr. Ayanokouji, you can only say that because you don't know me very well."

"You might be right. But it's a mistake to think you're the one who knows yourself best. There are things you overlook about yourself. Sometimes, what other people see might be closer to the truth."

"...I guess so. It'd be nice if that were true."

Hiyori's eyes narrowed sadly, and she opened her mouth to say something, but rethought it and pursed her lips. Then she slowly sat up.

"We should go home soon. I'm getting pretty chilly."

"Let's do that." Ayanokouji got up, too.

After leaving the park, the two were completely silent. Ultimately, it came time to part without them having said another word to each other. Ayanokouji began - "Well," - to say goodbye, but Hiyori interrupted him.

"Um, when you do something, I think it's best to have a clear goal in mind."

It took Ayanokouji about five seconds to realize she was talking about trying to conquer the obstacles posed by their compulsions.

"So, how does this sound? By Christmas Eve, I'll be able to walk around town without people's gazes bothering me. Mr. Ayanokouji, you'll be able to hold hands with someone without dirtiness bothering you. If we achieve those goals, then on Christmas Eve, we'll hold hands and walk by the Christmas lights outside the station, then have a modest celebration."