unnecessary.

Marinette was still covered in blood, Luka was asleep under the pain meds in hospital. She'd just finished wiping the cameras and yelling at her class to make sure they told no one. Luckily, when Riddler appeared, all other civilians ran as fast as they could anyway.

Marinette frowned. She bowed to Damien, getting on her knees. "I am sorry for attacking you."

"Sister... Get up please."

Marinette did as she was told and nodded, she turned around and headed to the exit.

"Wait where are you going? Stay! Mari please stay!" Dick asked.

"Why?" She turned back around. "Why would you want me now?"

Damien walked up to her and gently took hold of her hand. "We have always wanted you back ukht. It's just been a giant misunderstanding... Please hear us out."

She looked up at him. She nodded. Even if she wanted to, she couldn't say no to him.

"Father made us cut contact... Please understand that none of us wanted to. He hid all ways of contacting you, deleting it all..." Damien explained, looking dead into her eyes so she knew he wasn't lying.

Marinette's expression remained stone still. "Why?"

"Because he's stupid..." Damien held tighter onto her hand.

Dick put his hand on her shoulder. "He thought that maybe without us, you would be able to..." He paused, trying to find the right words.

"Unbreak myself?" She frowned. "That worked well for him didn't it? If anything I'm worse. I went against orders and attacked my brother. I've died more times than I can count. Did he really think that he could fix me by throwing me away? He doesn't care does he. He never did... He doesn't like me." She set her jaw, Damien could tell that she was trying not to let any emotion show and to anyone other than him, she probably would succeed.

Damien opened his mouth to comfort her but Dick beat him to it.

"Bruce is emotionally constipated. He doesn't know how to look after people. I wouldn't be surprised if he genuinely thought he did what was best. Obviously he was wrong but... Just think about it."

Damien glared at him, "Are you seriously defending him?!"

Marinette thought for a moment and shook her head. "I don't believe that is what he was doing." She looked over at Dick. "You don't want me to think that none of you cared."

Dick smiled softly. "We all care about and love you bluebelle. But we all show it in different ways. Bruce just doesn't. Mari... Come home. Please come home."

She frowned again. "I cannot do that."

"What!? Why!?" Damien asked.

"I have new duties. If I leave then Paris is in danger."

The two boys stared at her in shock.

"Once I have fulfilled my duty, I am going to spend some time with mother. Then return to Paris to be with people who I know care about me."

"No! You can't go back to her! Mari! Don't put yourself through that again!" Damien yelled.

"Is that an order?"

Damien grit his teeth. "Yes it is... Never go back to her Mari please... You can avoid us all you want but we will find you just never go back there... Promise me."

She frowned again, "Fine. I promise."

Damien pulled her into a slightly awkward hug.

"These duties... Mari, are you a vigilante again...?"

"I... Yes. Yes I am." She released Damien. "I am a guardian."

"To what?" Dick raised an eyebrow.

Marinette hesitated, not sure if she could tell them, she felt a reassuring pat from plagg. "Miraculous."

Damien gasped. "As in the order of the miraculous guardians? The organisation that the league has either been allies or at war with?"

"The very same."

Damien finally caught sight of her ring. "Black cat... You hold the black cat."

"I cannot abandon Paris to come back to... Well, this. Nor would I want to. I'm in Gotham for the next week. Do with that what you will."

"Let us help!" Dick asked. "With Paris. Let us help with whatever enemy you have."

"No thank you. Hawkmoth is being taken care of. And to be frank, I do not completely trust you again yet... It has been too long and hurt too much. I hope you understand." She turned her back and slipped out of the batcave, disappearing from sight.

"How about we take a look at that class schedule?"

Damien nodded. They were in for a long night of planning.

..~~..

When Marinette arrived back at the hotel, she was tackled by Chloe and Alix. "Where have you been!? Luka got back 15 minutes ago! He said you were gone when he woke up!" Alix flicked her.

"I was returning the bike. Red Robin was on patrol." She explained calmly.

"How do you know how to ride one of those things anyway?" Adrien asked, tilting his head.

"Because one of my brothers had a bike like it. Jason and I went on rides together every now and then."

They all seemed to accept that answer.

"Are you okay?" Nathaniel asked softly, clutching his sketchbook closer to his chest. "After... You know..."

She looked down. "I've been worse."

Chloe puffed her cheeks and dragged her and everyone else up to her room. "Cmere, it's giant group hug time."

Marinette sighed but obliged anyway, she did like them. More than she ever cared to admit.

"Um... Mari do you know where we're going tomorrow?" Marc asked apprehensively.

"Enlighten me." She hummed, purring softly amidst the tangle of limbs and bodies.

"Wayne industries tour and work experience..."

She groaned and curled herself into a tighter ball.

..~~..

The next day, Marinette's group arrived early at the bus and when everyone else arrived, they eyed Marinette with slight fear.

Marinette rolled her eyes then leveled Lila with a stare who in turn, quickly got onto the bus with the others.

Marinette was silent all the way there, holding Luka's hand for support making sure not to touch his arm that was in a sling.

When they eventually arrived, the receptionist happily greeted them, waving at Marinette.

Marinette nodded in acknowledgement with her usual cheery smile. She recognised her, she was always kind to her when she and Damien snuck in.

"Mr Wayne has kindly offered to take you around himself! He should be down soon." She smiled.

The elevator doors opened and out stepped the man of the hour.

Marinette steeled herself and walked towards him. "Mr Wayne." She said calmly with a smile he could tell that again, it was fake.

Bruce frowned at the way she addressed him, "Marinette."