Chapter 8 : Museum

Start from the beginning

I’m as happy as can be if that’s true, Ayanokouji thought. But he couldn’t take Tsukishiro at face value. Maybe he was fabricating this as a way of flattering Ayanokouji. It wasn’t too strange to think that all the people hired before him had been taken by this tactic.

Tsukishiro took an envelope out of his coat’s inside pocket and handed it to Ayanokouji.

“Your payment. But it’s only half. Whether I’ll pay you the other half depends on your actions after this.”

Since it was half, that meant it would match what he’d paid Hiyori. Relieved his investment came back to him, Ayanokouji put the envelope in his pocket.

“…So, what should I be doing next?”

Tsukishiro didn’t have an immediate answer, leaning back in the bench and looking at the sky. Ayanokouji also leaned back and looked upward. He thought maybe it had started to snow, but that didn’t seem to be the case.

Tsukishiro was pondering something. It almost looked like he was searching the countless stars to find an answer.

Tsukishiro  took a drink from the can of coffee beside him, breathed, and answered the question.

“You don’t have to do anything.”

Ayanokouji  turned to him with wide eyes.

“So does that mean my job is -”

“Hey, I didn’t say that. Your job isn’t over just yet. By "you don’t have to do anything,” I mean “keep things as they are.” Keep being a reliable friend to her like you have. If you do that… maybe something interesting’ll happen.“

"Interesting?”

Tsukishiro ignored his question.

“That’s all from me. I’ll contact you again later.”

With that blunt remark, Tsukishiro got up from the bench. It looked like he was going to just leave, but he suddenly stopped and turned.

“Forgot to say something important. A thing I should warn you about.”

“What is it?”

“Whatever happens next, don’t cross the line with Shina Hiyori. Even if that’s what she wants from you. I doubt I need to worry about a clean freak like you, but I’ll put it out there as a "just in case,” against all odds. Keep it platonic, like Signal and Signaless.“

Ayanokouji looked at Tsukishiro dumbfounded. Then after a delay, he furrowed his brow.

"What are you talking about? You do know how much of an age difference there is between us?”

“Just tell me "yes.” I’m not saying this out of concern for Hijiri Sanagi, I’m saying it for you. If you ignore that warning, you’ll be the one in the most trouble. Up to you if you’ll believe that or not.“

Ayanokouji sighed. "You have no reason to worry. I won’t even be able to hold her hand.”

“Right. I’ll be praying it stays that way.”

With that, Tsukishiro vanished into the cold darkness.

— ◆ —

Ayanokouji was summoned by Hiyori via a phone call. It wasn’t a desperate call like last time, but there was a sense of her having some business for him.

“There’s something I want to try. Come to the library right away.”

With only those words, she hung up. Ayanokouji hesitated for a while, but soon gave up, changed clothes, donned his gloves and face mask, and prepared to go out. But just before he left the room, he resolutely took off the mask and threw it in the trash can. He didn’t know why himself, but he thought it would be better that way.