Chapter 13

Just a really cute song that reminded me of them :3

Chapter 13

To say I missed Deimos would be an understatement; I regret leaving but after receiving the news that I had and having to hear it from his little brother rather than the man himself, I couldn't face him until I got my emotions in check. I was angry, worse than angry, furious, maybe even more than that. But I was also sad, not just for myself but for him; I would hate to go through what he went through.

My hand gently ran over his mark, the slight bumps in my skin felt like the closest I would get to him for a long time. I knew he could feel it every time that I touched it; I just hope that gave him some comfort. I had cut off the mind link, not just with him but with all of them, even Aslan, I couldn't get him into trouble.

I gazed out the window, it was Christmas and I had been here for approximately 2 weeks. I could feel the overpowering sadness, anger and confusion from Deimos and it only added to mine. The nights just seemed to stretch on without him, I wasn't only breaking his heart, I was breaking Aleksey's; when the TV was flicked on I would see him acting up and occasionally crying to his mum and when it mentioned that he was missing me, I broke.

I had been strong, but I ended up breaking, like a fragile sheet of glass that was smashed. The snow had lain thick on the floor, despite being in the south of Caelestinus where it was near the equator. Nights were all that I saw now, we were lucky to even get 7 hours of daylight.

I had met the witch, her name was Elsie. She seemed nice, kind, but distant at the same time. Her hair was usually tumbling around her shoulders in long brown waves, and her blue eyes always sparkled when she smiled. She was acting, trying to seem happy around everyone but she was just as miserable as Soleil.

She had told her about her mate, Lake. She'd seen him walk around, occasionally acting loving towards Elsie but careful not to get too attached in case it backfired and he ended up losing her. Elsie hadn't been marked, but I was her choice. She knew that if she let him then that would screw everything, that he wouldn't hold back his feelings. She could understand where Elsie was coming from. If she knew what she knew now, she would go back in time.

I lifted myself off the window seat, wrapping my jumper around myself as it was exceptionally cold in this run down house. The laughter from the kitchen was inviting and I made my way in, giving a weak smile to those in there.

"You okay, darlin'?" Oscar said, the twang of his accent was inviting. He enveloped her in a hug, as the tears threatened to fall.

"I miss him, Ozzie." He smoothed her hair, shhing noises coming from him as though he was talking to a baby.

"I know, but you need to stay here, I can't risk your safety again."

"Can't he come here instead, just him. No one else." He seemed hesitant.

"That's not a good idea, Soleil."

"I've got to make peace with him before I die, Oscar. I can't just leave him with how I acted the last time I was with him." He sighed, weighing the pros and cons as he chewed on his lip.

"The week before the full moon, I'll allow you to invite him here, okay? You won't be allowed to let him interfere, this has to be done. Werewolves can't roam this world anymore, Soleil."

"Will this result in death?"

"Just one." I nodded, still needing to come to terms that my death was in a few weeks. I pulled out of Oscar's arms. I regret how I spent my life; I never did anything good, just ended lives instead. I hurt a lot of people. Those who I cared about simply got hurt, they never benefitted, goddess I was so selfish. Maybe I should be the one to die, to save all of those around me, they'll be hurt but they'll get better. I'm sure of it.

Grabbing an apple from the fruit basket, I turned my head towards Oscar, my hair falling across my shoulder. "Thank you." He nodded in return, going to stare out in the backyard.

"Soleil?"

"Yeah?"

"Your dad would be proud of how brave you're being."

//Deimos//

I sat on the throne, my feet chucked over the side as my fingers tapped the gold armrest. It was Christmas, my favourite season but I didn't care. I just missed Soleil, her tendrils of long red hair, eyes that just mesmerised my soul and a laugh that you could help but smile with. She was something different, something unusual.

The familiar warmth of her touching her mark filled my body and it filled me with ease to know she was thinking about me and to know she was still alive.

I was angry that she had left, that she would simply leave without saying goodbye and just disappears off the face of the Earth. My best trackers couldn't pick even a hint of scent anywhere and they had been as far as Aurelianus.

Aleksey took it bad, he was too attached. Continues to ask when she would be back, I told him she's just on vacation but now he's angry that she went without him. I let my head fall back, staring at the painting above me.

Stars, gods and goddesses, and wolves were sprawled across the ceiling. The late King Bartholomew had commissioned it for his mate, Queen Francesca. She was apparently one of those romantics at heart and loved the ancient stories of the royal ones. She was fixated on the story of Tumelo and Rowan; Soleil also adored this story, constantly begging me to bring her into this room and tell her it.

I smiled at the bitter sweet memory of her curled in my lap as I told her it. Tumelo and Rowan were destined lovers, from two different backgrounds. I guess it kind of reminded her of us, I knew that sometimes she doubted that she was right for this, but the goddess wouldn't have made her my mate if she didn't think that Soleil would be able to handle it.

I licked my lips, waiting for the day that she'd return. What if she never did?