1 CARATS

Chapter 01

"Hon, I'll pick you up at the airport; tell me what time your plane lands,” sabi ng isang businessman na nakaupo sa swivel chair nito.

“No need; perhaps you're preoccupied with your work,” sabi ng isang babae sa linya. “You need to take care of that, also kasama ko naman si Jeonghan.”

“Oh, really? You didn't even let me know that you were going to bring your son with you.”

“Of course, kailangan na nilang magkita ni Reba lalo na ngayong we're going to be in one's house. Sinabi mo na ba sa kaniya?”

“She knows about us, but she'll be surprised because she'll be meeting you and your son unexpectedly,” tugon nito. “But now that I'm making plans with my business partner, I'm not sure. They can have their son married to my daughter, and I'll agree to that.”

Nagtaas naman ng kilay ang babae, mga ilang sandali pa ay napangiti siya. “Oh, that's great!” When Jeonghan noticed that his mother seemed happy, he stopped walking after buying water from the machine. He was curious as to what his mother and new husband were talking about. “Hon, that's a good opportunity for Reba since she's now twenty-eight.”

“I'll see, saka na natin ulit pag-usapan iyan kapag nakarating na kayo rito,” sabi nito. “Message me so I can have my drivers pick you up.” She put down the phone, and Jeonghan finally got closer to his mother.

“What's up? Ano sabi ni Uncle Thomas?” tanong ni Jeonghan.

“Well, susunduin tayo ng mga drivers niya kapag nakalapag na tayo sa airport,” sagot ng kaniyang ina. “Then it's time for you to know his daughter. For sure, you and Reba will get along well.”

“Reba...?” Nang marinig iyon ni Jeonghan, that name sounds familiar to him, pero hindi niya matukoy kung kanino niya narinig ang pangalan na iyon. “Well, sa buong inaakala ko lalaki ang anak ni Uncle Thomas. For sure, napaka-demanding ng anak niya since babae naman pala.” Then Jeonghan rolled his eyes. “Mga babae naman talaga, tss!”

“Jeonghan, paano mo naman nasasabi iyan?” gulat na tanong ng kaniyang ina. “Look, you need to respect them, okay? They are of a higher class than us, who are only in the low class, so get yourself together.”

“Mom, I already met Uncle Thomas, but I don't think so about his daughter. Well, let's see,” nagkikibit-balikat na lamang siya.

When the time goes on, a few hours have passed since they boarded the plane to Venice, Italy, from Seoul, South Korea. Now that they're landing at the port, Jeonghan's mom contacted Thomas to inform him that they'd landed at the airport, and now they're just waiting for a few moments until the driver arrives to pick them up. “Saan tayo didiretso nito? Sa bahay mismo ni Uncle Thomas?” tanong ni Jeonghan.

“Yeah, after his meeting, for sure, he will go home to his mansion,” sabi ng mom niya. “I just can't get over what Thomas said; I can't imagine that he will arrange a marriage for Reba. Good for her; I hope you are the same, Jeonghan.”

But Jeonghan chuckled and rolled his eyes. “Seriously, Mom? If I could marry that Reba, I would never accept that,” sabi niya. “I can't marry a woman I don't love, and even more so, who doesn't like me.”

“It doesn't matter, Jeonghan. Hindi na uso ang love at first sight or manliligaw ka,” sambit ng mom niya. “We're also business people; think about your welfare in the future, especially now that you're the founder of your father's company in Korea.”

Napailing naman si Jeonghan at tumingin sa bintana, tinatanaw ang paligid habang nagmamaneho ang driver. “Hindi ko lang kasi maintindihan kung bakit nagawa mo pang mag-asawa ulit, at sa isang mafia lord pa, Mom.”

He's happy to see his mother happy for the second chance at love and having a husband, but deep inside, he's sad. He has doubts about his feelings that he wants to release. He's the only son, and he's missing his dad, who died just a year ago due to a natural disaster. There is nothing he can do; the only thing he can do now is support his mother and fulfill his responsibilities.

***

Jeonghan and his mom finally arrived at the mansion. As Jeonghan notices, he sees a lot of security guards, bodyguards, and drivers there. There were maids waiting in the lobby; they took their luggage, and the butler immediately greeted them. “Good afternoon, Ma'am, Sir?” nakangiti nitong pagbati. “Sumunod kayo sa akin sa loob.” Ganoon na nga ang kanilang ginawa. “Feel at home, Mrs. Yoon. Don Thomas called us; their meeting is over, so they're getting ready to go home. The maids are also preparing for dinner; just sit down on the sofa, and I will order your belongings to be moved to your reserved rooms.”

“Thank you, Mister.” Umalis ng saglit ang butler at naiwan na lamang sila roon sa may living room.

Naupo si Mrs. Yoon sa sofa habang nanatiling nakatayo si Jeonghan na sinisipat ang buong paligid ng mansyon. Napatango-tango na lamang siya, mas mayaman pa ito kaysa sa kanilang mag-ina. “Kaya ka ba na-fall kay Mr. Thomas Ajello it because... mayaman kaysa sa atin? And because... you want me to marry someone that belongs to this family, right?” tanong ni Jeonghan. “And he was the one who saved us; he's the one who made Dad's business file for bankruptcy.”

“I owe Thomas a great debt of gratitude,” tugon ni Mrs. Yoon. “Hindi ko naman siya puwedeng tanggihan. At isa pa, sinabi naman niya sa akin na kahit hindi ko pa siya mahal dahil hanggang ngayon mahal ko pa rin ang ama mo, still, he's waiting for me to love him back, pero hindi ibig sabihin niyon na kinalimutan ko na ang ama mo, Jeonghan.”

Jeonghan was speechless. He just avoided looking at Mrs. Yoon, and his tears were rolling down his cheeks, but he couldn't stop them from falling down his cheeks. He didn't want to look away; he didn't want his mother to see his weakness. While Reba was on the trip with the twin siblings, DK and Dino, someone called her, and it was her bodyguard. “Miss Reba, you ran away from me again,” rinig niyang sabi ng kaniyang bodyguard. “You need to go home now. Don Thomas is going home to the mansion, and Mrs. Yoon and her son have already arrived.”

“What? What do you mean?” pagtataka ni Reba. “Why didn't Dad even tell me about that?”

“Miss Reba, you better go home.” Hindi na nagsalita si Reba. Napansin naman siya ng twin brothers; nagmamaneho si DK habang si Dino naman ang nakaupo sa shotgun seat. “What's wrong with you babe?” tanong sa kaniya ni DK.

“My bodyguard,” tugon ni Reba.

“Tss, hinding-hindi mo talaga maiisahan ang bodyguard mo, huh?” sambit naman ni Dino. “For sure na alam niya kung saan tayo papunta ngayon.”

“Just take me home, buddies,” sabi niya habang naka-cross ang kaniyang arms. “My dad's second wife and her son arrived at the mansion.”

“Oh, Uncle Thomas' mistress and your soon to be step-brother, huh?”

“Shut up, DK! I don't want to talk someone behind their back,” nakakunot noong sabi ni Reba. “I met her, at hindi naman siya mistress ni Dad. He's just a second wife, but still, I don't like her. I... miss my mom.” Walang nagawa ang magkapatid kundi ang ihatid na lamamg si Reba sa tapat ng mansyon. “Thanks, guys, saka na lang ako babawi sa inyo.”

“It's nothing. Palagi naman tayong magkakasama, eh,” sambit ni DK. “Mind your own personal matter and your family. Just call or text me if you want something.” Pagkatapos niyon ay bumalik na ang dalawa sa loob ng kanilang kotse saak nagmaneho na palayo. Pumasok na sa loob si Reba, pinagbuksan siya ng gate ng guwardiya roon.

Naunang dimating si Mr. Ajello. Ngayon ay hinihintay na lamang nila si Reba na makauwi para simulan ang dinner. “As always namang kasa-kasama niya sina DK and Dino, hindi naman ako nag-aalala since childhood magkakasama na silang tatlo.”

“So, who's offering you to arrange marriage for her then? Do you think that agreement is fine for Reba?”

“Arrange marriage?” They all looked up when they heard a woman's voice. When Jeonghan saw that woman, he was stunned, and he was observing the shape of the woman from head to toe.