01

Amila glanced around the neighborhood Luca had brought her to along with Commander Hicks. The houses were nice, very homey, and the streets were quiet except for the loud music that was coming from a few blocks away.
"I still have no idea why you dragged me out here...from my comfortable bed", Amila deadpanned hearing Luca chuckle,
"Well, I figured...you'd want to check this place out with me...your my roommate Mils, I want to know your opinion to", he excitedly says to her. Amila looked around smiling at Commander Hicks who was also checking out the neighborhood.
Amila used her crutches to limp up to the fence along with the commander who looked over the house,
"Whoa", he states, "this redefines "do it yourself"...." He sighed, "I tried to warn you, Luca", he crossed his arms. Amila turned her head, looking behind her to see a man painting over some graffiti on the wall. She watches Luca walk with Duke to the middle of the road,
"Hey...this neighborhood got a graffiti problem?", he asked the man. Amila limped over with her crutches seeing the man nod, " it does".

"Well what's the point of doing that?", he questioned seeing the man turn to him,
"Well, everyday, there's graffiti. Every night, I'm here to paint it over", he says standing up straight.

Amila smiled, "that's very thoughtful of you", she tells him.

"You're cops, right?", he says which was more of a statement than a question. Luca smiled over at Amila who shrugged innocently,
"How'd you know?", Luca chuckled.

The man smiled shaking his head,
"You both look like one. Are you moving here?", he asked to which Amila looked to Luca to answer the man,
"We're thinking on it" he nods. Amila scratched the back of Dukes ear saying goodbye to the man and walking back towards the house.

"You ever own a house?", Hicks asked Luca looking to Amila who shook her head.

"This will be my very first one, right Amila?", he says excitedly walking up to the window, "I could put a pool table in the living room, big screen for my PlayStation", he tells them.

"I'm gonna...bet you'll be responding...to a lot of noise complaints", Amila coughed between sentences. Luca cheered out loud with Duke who barked happily. Amila was happy for Luca and herself to finally get out of the hotel and they could possibly be living in a place they would own; together. Best friends for life. She also knew Luca had invited Street to move in with them which she was totally cool with.
Amila limped out towards the sidewalk leaning against the fence, coughing. She slowly rubbed her neck where the bullet had hit, wincing as she did so. She turned her head looking down the street to see a nice red car parked with some guys hanging around it.

'Probably a gang', she thought to herself, looking away.

"Hey Mils, you alright?", Luca walked up to her, kneeling down on one knee, with a hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah, might have overdid it today", she replied with a wince.
Commander Hicks clapped his hands together,
"Luca, why don't you take Duke and Amila home...she needs to rest", he said as Amila nodded. With Luca's help she was back to standing with the help of her crutches,
"I'm still out of work for a few weeks...can't I come in to help...maybe desk duty?", she turned to her boss who shook his head,
"Your on medical leave till I hear from the doctor that your 100 percent good to return to the field", he says firmly.
Amila exhaled,
"Damn", she muttered as they laughed before heading home.

~~DREAM~~

"Amila!", she heard multiple people call out her name. Blood spilled past her lips as she choked. Excruciating pain was all she felt. Darkness crept up on her as her team tried to stop the bleeding. The voices were panicked and scared for her but it all happened too fast and the darkness swallowed her whole.

~~END OF DREAM~~

Amila woke with a startled gasp, sweat coated her skin, she rubbed her eyes groggily seeing the sunlight shine through the blinds. She winced rubbing her neck lightly, slowly climbing out of the bed. Her thigh was in slight pain but she shook it out limping out the room to see Duke drinking water from his bowl,
"Morning Dukey...did Luca leave you already", she cooed scratching his head. She looked to the fridge to see a sticky note.

"Hey Mils. We got the house. See you later!"

Amila smiled at the note tossing it in the trash. She made herself some toast, then when to shower. Once she was in comfortable clothes which consisted of black sweatpants, black t-shirt and a black beanie,
"I'll be back later boy", she smiled at Duke grabbing her crutches and walked out ordering an Uber.

The ride was awfully quiet which she didn't mind and was excited to be on the East Side of L.A. she loved the scenery, it was beautiful yet warm. She feels the Uber driver come to a stop and sees he pulled up near the curb of the house,
"Thank you", she smiled climbing out with her crutches. She closed the car door watching the Uber drive off. She notices some kids across the street hanging out on the table. Some part of her wanted to walk over and get to know the kids but her mind doubted that they'd want to talk to her let alone a cop, although she wasn't technically considered a full cop. She had noticed some of the kids staring at her, she gave them a warm smile, waving before turning around and using her crutches to limp up to the house.