Prologue

,, I must admit, you're quite hard to find, Miss Knightley.'' spoke the voice of the elder wizard as he stood by the front door. His eyes fell on the girl sitting in front of the fireplace, wrapped in blankets staring blankly at the fire. She looked better compared to when she got out. The hair was neater and cleaner, let down and put to the side. Those black baggy clothes she was wearing were perfectly hiding every inch of pain she had been through.

But what remained the same was her look and expression. Emptiness in her gaze and soul, coldness on her face and heart. It was sad to see her like this, knowing she wasn't like this before. He recognized confusion in her eyes, and understood what it was based on.

,, It's okay, come here. '', he spread his hands, into which she came somewhat uncertainly. But as soon as she stayed in his embrace for a few seconds, she surrendered to the feeling and let her tears flow down her face.

"Don't worry, you're safe now," he whispered in a low voice, feeling her fast heartbeat. He didn't like seeing her like this. Ideas about what she could have gone through, to turn from such a cheerful and happy girl into this one, constantly passed through his mind, keeping him awake at night.

"Miss Knightley, we need to discuss some important matters with you, it would be best if we sat down," said Severus Snape's voice, which she didn't even notice until he said it. She nodded, walking away from Dumbledore as she gestured for them to sit, missing the look Albus gave Snape as he just shrugged.

"What will happen to me now?" '', she asked, wiping off her tears, while her gaze wandered from one to the other interlocutor.

,, Given that you have an insight into what your reputation looks like, you need to be tucked away somewhere safe, away from the public eye, the Ministry of Magic specifically.'' Albus said in his gentle voice, as if he was hesitating about saying the next thing.

,, And where would that be? '', she began, already feeling that she would not like the rest.

,, 12 Grimmauld Place, better known as the burrow. ''

When the name of that place was uttered, there was a spark of familiarity that washed across her face. She couldn't place it, though. Where had she heard of it before? The woman racked her brain, desperately trying to recall the memory that connected her to this unknown place. Suddenly, a name popped into her head—Sirius Black. She remembered that he had spoken of the same place during a conversation they had after one of their passionate encounters.

,, So that means that I'll be staying with Sirius Black, right?'', realization hit her like a ton of bricks. She was about to face her ex-lover again and she wasn't ready at all. She didn't intend to meet with him, ever again. Of course, she was aware of the fact that he had escaped from Azkaban and that he was looking for her, but she was successful in covering her tracks.

"Yes, this means that you will stay there and stay there with the just mentioned, but also with the other members of the Order of the Phoenix.", and after a few second he added, '' Which leads me to make a suggestion to you, and that is to join our Order of the Phoenix, as the newest member. I hope you will accept, since it is necessary for the continued survival of all of us.. You - know- who must be stopped, and for that we need everyone's help, especially yours.'', Albus replied, carefully following her every move.

The silence seemed to linger like an eternity as she deliberated on the offer that had been extended to her. With every sigh, she was struggling with her inner demons on what the right decision should be. Joining the Order of the Phoenix had not been part of her grand plan. It hadn't been a thought, a dream or a goal. And yet, here she stood, facing the decision that would determine the shape of the future and the fate of her past. For years she had tried to keep her past buried deep inside her, pretending it didn't exist — until it became a ghost, haunting her every move. It wasn't a decision she felt she had the courage or strength to make. She still felt hurt, betrayed and scared to confront it all again. She felt as though she was stuck between two impossible choices — to assume her responsibilities or to try and start anew. But maybe, this could be the answer. Joining the Order of the Phoenix, while simultaneously starting a new life, could be the way forward. She could do both — reclaim her identity and ambitions, and press forward into an uncertain, unknown future. Although the decision was daunting, she felt a strength within her, a strength that had been growing for years, slowly but surely.

,,I will do it,'' she said into the silence and with those three words, the ghost of her past was finally laid to rest. It was time to embrace the future and make the absolute most of it. It was time to answer the call and join the Order of the Phoenix.

"It's not like it was a matter of choice, you had to join. You owe Albus so much for everything he's done for you to save you from the kind of madness you've gotten yourself into," he said with a judgmental look.

"Severus," Albus warned with a glare directed at him.

,, Professor Snape, I know how hard and frustrating it must be for you to be alone all the time. Perhaps you should wash your hair and see if it changes anything in your love life, ever thought about that? '', she said while holding a strong eye contact with him, glad that she could still get under his skin.

"Listen to me, you ungrateful girl...", he raised his voice as he put both hands on the table and started to get up, to which she responded in same actions.

"Enough!" '', Albus exclaimed, slamming his hand on the table, after which they stopped arguing and there was silence. Until he stood up and headed for the door, saying :

"Miss Knightley, you will be informed of the exact day of departure. I recommend that you start packing now, because it will be very soon. Goodbye, take care.'', he gave a reassuring smile before walking out, while Severus gave a quick glare before walking out and waved his cloak, before slamming the door, which she just let out an angry breath.

She didn't pay him that much attention, since her thoughts were occupied by him – Sirius Black. Thoughts of reunion with her ex lover, sent her into a twisted tailspin of emotions. Anticipation of what had once been between them during those passionate months fueled her with hope, while at the same time, she felt the force of fear of not knowing how he felt about their relationship. What had once been right between them had been lost, betrayed by her inability to reach the level of love he deserved and her weakness of fighting off her own demons from her past. Had the time apart brought with it a change of heart for him as well? Would he remember the same moments with affection, or had they turned into nothing more than dusty memories in a void of a forgotten past?

But little did she know, that wasn't the only person from her past that she will be reunited with.