Chapter 18

Jaekyung faltered as Dan's words sank in. His face flickered from rage, to surprise, to disgruntled confusion. "What has that got to do with anything?" he growled.

It was Dan's turn to be exasperated. "Just yesterday, you were saying that you could get hurt during a fight because of your condition." He took a breath to slow himself down, trying to rein in his uncharacteristically wild emotions. "Did you expect me to forget about all that? To not care that you might get hurt? Isn't that the whole reason we did everything we did last night?"

Jaekyung's face kept twisting and shifting, as though he couldn't decide what expression he should be making. He glared at the ceiling and rubbed the back of his neck. "I wouldn't say that's the whole reason-"

"And don't forget that I know a thing or two about physical therapy," Dan barreled on, determined to convince him. "So even if you do get hurt, I might be able to mitigate the damage."

Jaekyung rasped out a sigh, dragging one hand down his face. "Are you actually trying to become my fucking doctor right now?"

"Physical therapist," Dan corrected, then looked away sheepishly. "And no, not really. I'm still in training, so I'm not a professional or anything..." He turned back to Jaekyung, doing his best to look confident. "But I can definitely be of help, if you'll just let me. I know you're planning to find someone else to help you with your, um...personal needs, but I at least want to see you through this fight. For closure, I guess?" He gave a little shrug, attempting a small smile that almost withered under Jaekyung's glowering gaze.

Jaekyung crossed his arms over his bare chest, furrowed brows forming a thunderhead over his narrowed eyes.

Dan fidgeted with the strings of his joggers. "Plus, I never got to see the end of your fights last time. It was so exciting, and I'd never seen anything like it, but I missed the finale, so..."

Jaekyung cocked an eyebrow. "I thought you said it wasn't about the thrill."

Dan shrugged again. "I guess it's a little about the thrill. But mostly, I just want to make sure you're okay." He peeked up at Jaekyung, watching his clouded face as he waited for an answer.

Jaekyung's jaw shifted in agitation. Finally, he turned and stalked back toward the counter where the toast ingredients sat abandoned. "I'll think about it," he growled over his shoulder.

Dan's chest fluttered as his smile widened. That went way better than I was expecting, he thought.

The kitchen turned into a mildly hazardous zone as Jaekyung blustered around preparing breakfast like an angry tornado. Dan sat patiently in one of the kitchen chairs until Jaekyung stormed over holding two plates of toast. He shoved one plate in front of Dan and slammed the other down on the opposite side of the table as he collapsed grumpily into the other chair.

"Thank you," Dan said.

"Whatever," Jaekyung snarled, mouth already full of half of his toast.

Dan took a moment to admire the food. Jaekyung had spread mashed avocado over the toast, then topped it with thinly sliced tomatoes and a fried egg. The entire thing was lightly seasoned with parsley flakes and freshly ground pepper.

Dan clapped his hands together. "This looks really tasty," he said, lifting the toast delicately off the plate.

Jaekyung grumbled something unintelligible through his mouthful of toast.

Dan munched peacefully for a few minutes, savoring the fresh flavors and realizing he'd been quite hungry. Despite how delicious the toast was, however, his mind soon drifted to other thoughts.