chapter twenty two

Start from the beginning

That's been the constant feeling since I've broken my wrist. I can't really be bothered to do anything, no matter what it is. I have no opinion on anything, nor do I care to. Everything is just... there. I feel like I'm just going through the motions of my life and nothing is actually happening. It's strange, but interesting nonetheless.

I make a pit stop in my kitchen to grab a lighter from the junk drawer, then make my way outside to where Dean and Fulton have already made themselves comfortable on the couch. As I approach, Fulton smirks and throws a nod in my direction. "Well well well, look what the cat finally dragged in."

"Pipe down, asshole." I respond, flipping him the finger as I sit down next to him. "It's not like I didn't break my wrist or anything. It's hard to do things when I've got only one arm."

"Relax Banksie, jeez." Dean says through a laugh, blowing a puff of smoke out as he does. "Just take a hit and fucking breathe. It's not that deep."

I take the joint from him and place it to my lips, breathing in slowly as I let the smoke fill my lungs. "Hard to say when your entire life isn't devoted to hockey." I answer as I breathe out. "This sport has been the only thing that's kept me going, through everything. Now I've fucked up both of my wrists, and that doesn't look good to scouts, you know."

I take another hit and start coughing almost immediately, which sends both Dean and Fulton into a laughing fit. I flip them the finger again, then lift my head to the noise of my back gate opening. The rest of the Ducks come piling in and noisily make their way over, finding an open seat wherever they can.

I immediately notice how Connie's entire face wrinkles into disgust as she sits down, but she doesn't say anything about it. I'm sure she probably will at some point, but I'm starting to become high enough to the point where I don't really care.

The joint gets passed around the circle a few times, and everyone is starting to let the effects of the weed take over. Mostly everyone is relaxed, but Averman, Goldberg, and Russ are more giggly than I can usually handle. I've had to ignore Averman's comments quite a few times, but it's fine because he distracts himself quickly with the sound of his own laughter.

The only person who isn't smoking is Connie, but I knew that was going to be the case as soon as I saw her make a face at what's been going on. She can't hide her disgust, and it becomes more evident every time Julie takes a hit, because she's more shocked at Julie smoking than Guy. In Julie's defense, she's only taken a few hits, but I think that Connie's disapproving glances have played a part in that.

I'm fried at this point, and I'm nodding in and out of sleep when I hear a big bang that snaps me back to consciousness. I quickly realize it's my back gate again, and I squint my eyes to try and make out the figure who's rushing over. As soon as my focus, I realize who it is.

It's Ella.

Her face is stained with tears, and her bloodshot eyes make me sick to my stomach. As mad as I may have been at her recently, I hate seeing her cry. I always will.

She stops dead in her tracks when she realizes what she just walked into, and awkwardly crosses her arms into her chest. "I'm sorry." she mutters, sniffling quietly. "I'm just going to go."

She turns around and starts walking back towards the gate, which suddenly kicks my ass into gear and I'm jumping up to follow her. I reach her and gently place my hand on her back, leading her around the corner so that no one can see. Again, I won't let her embarrass herself, no matter how mad I may be at her.

"El, talk to me." I say, turning her to face me and lifting her chin up so that she's looking at me. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"Adam, I-, I can't." she sobs. She throws herself into me and squeezes me tight, and I try my best not to wince as I wrap my free arm around her and hold her close, trying to understand what the hell is going on. "I didn't know where else to go, and I'm so sorry for what's happened to us, but I need you."

"Shh, it's fine." I answer, rubbing her back softly as my head spins with endless possibilities and questions. What the hell is going on? Who hurt her? Do I have to kill someone? Do I need to break my other wrist? "Just tell me what happened, okay? I can't help you if I don't know what's going on."

"Alex." she mumbles, her face still buried in my chest. "It's Alex."

"Okay... what about Alex?" I ask, trying to stay calm. If I'm going to be of any help, I can't let my emotions get the best of me. "You've gotta tell me what about him Ella. I need answers."

"He cheated on me Adam."

And suddenly, all I see is red.

**a/n**
this writing lowkey sucks but it's okay because you get to have this cliffhanger. i have no further comment at this time. see you guys soon hehehe byeeeeeeee