chapter nine

adam

Tonight is Ella's eighteenth birthday party.

I'm actually really excited for it, because all I've been focusing on for the last month is hockey and school. I'm finally going to be able to let loose, which is something that I haven't done in a while.

Even though her actual birthday was on Wednesday, I'm glad she decided to wait until tonight, Saturday night, to have it. It makes the most sense to have it tonight, since tomorrow every team's off day. It's also no secret that she wants to drink, and I don't blame her. Turning eighteen is a big deal, and it's really not a surprise that Ella wants to go all out for it.

Since I'm not planning on doing anything until tonight, I jump onto my Xbox and start a game of NHL with Charlie. I don't know how much time passes before I look away from my TV, and I jump almost three feet in the air when I see my mom standing over me. "Jesus fuck Mom. You scared me."

Her nose wrinkles when she hears the curse come out of my mouth. "Adam Joseph, what have I told you about cursing?"

"No offense Mom, but I don't know what you expected." I respond as respectfully as I can. "You married a former hockey player and raised two more of them, one of which is in the literal NHL. I can almost guarantee that he doesn't go a practice or a game without dropping quite a few curses."

"Seventeen years old." she mutters to herself. "Seventeen years old and he's acting like a child. Where did I go wrong?"

"Stace, it's okay if he curses every now and then." my dad interrupts, stepping into my room. "Look at him, he's practically an adult."

My mom turns him angrily and scowls. "Phil, this has nothing to do with you. I don't like the cursing, and I'll parent him how I see fit."

"You never were this strict about cursing with Zach." my father counters, and puts his hand up to stop my mom from arguing. "Stacie, it's really not a big deal. He's going to be eighteen in seven months. I know you don't want to admit it, but he's growing up. He's not your little boy anymore. And besides, cursing isn't nearly as bad as other alternatives he could be doing instead. So please, just stop and let him live."

Instead of saying anything, my mom just turns around and walks out of the room. "Don't sweat it." my dad says, sitting down next to me and placing a hand on my shoulder. "She's just upset you're growing up and leaving for college soon. You're her baby, you know?"

I nod and let out a shaky sigh. "I know, but I don't want her to be upset. I feel like I'm disappointing her."

He shakes his head and ruffles my hair a bit. "I promise you Adam, you're not disappointing her at all. In fact, you're actually doing quite the opposite. She's extremely proud of you and is thrilled about your success, but it's just hard for her to let go. It also doesn't help that she's stressed about Ella's birthday present. She's worried Ella won't like it."

"That's ridiculous." I answer with a laugh. "She's going to go crazy over it. Mom should know that too."

A chuckle escapes from my dad, and he puts his arm back around my shoulder. "Oh I know, but she's convinced Ella will think it's too much. I don't necessarily blame her for it, but it's for Ella's eighteenth. I think it's completely justified."

"Shit, I forgot to pay you for that." I say, standing up quickly and walking over to my nightstand. I pull the top drawer open and grab my wallet, then take out a bunch of bills and turn back to my father. "How much do I owe you?"

To my surprise, my father waves his hand dismissively. "You really don't have to give me anything. Mom and I have it covered."

"I'm chipping in." I insist, placing the money in his hand. "I can't let you and Mom do that without helping. She's just as important to me as she is to you, and I refuse to let you guys spend that much without covering at least little bit of it."