8 - Stock Car Races

My parents had decided to take the day off, and keep me out of school, so that we could spend time together. They're taking me to the stock car races, something they both enjoy and had apparently bonded over when they first met. I'd been warned that it would be a long event, out in the sun on a warm day and surrounded by a lot of people, making it even hotter. I wear a Red Sox baseball cap, a red flannel shirt over a white tee, and jean shorts. I'll be covered enough not to burn, but also able to take off a layer if I get too hot.

When we get to the track, we park the car and are heading towards the entry gates when we spot a familiar family, minus one. "Hal, what'd'ya know?" My dad calls, and we meet in the middle of the parking lot. We all have awkward greetings. My parents talk to Hal, and I face Malcolm, while Reese talks to Dewey.

"So, you're ditching, too?" Malcolm asks, and I nod.

"I was worried about leaving you alone at school, but then I remembered that you've been ditching me all week and I didn't feel so bad anymore," I say.

"Don't be so loud," he hisses, "I'm sorry, but I hate the stupid Krelboyne activities. Everyone makes fun of them anyway, why do they have to do stupid stuff?"

I smile at him, "I know, Reese has been beating them up all week. It's actually been hard to watch."

"Come on, honey," my mom says, suddenly, and we go to our seats. She leans down to whisper to me, "if you'd prefer to be with your friends, just let us know. We can always spend time together later."

"Say cheese," my dad says, and my mom and I smile at the camera as he quickly snaps a picture. "Oh, that's gonna be a good one."

I get bored of the racing quickly, since nothing exciting happens. I start wishing for a crash. "Mom, I'm gonna go find my friends."

"Okay, honey," remember to top up on your sun block, and buy yourself something to drink." She passes me some money, and I kiss her cheek before running off to find the boys.

"Hey!" I shout, seeing them in line for drinks.

"Mary," Malcolm says, relieved. "Stock car racing sucks." I laugh. "Where are your parents?"

"Over there," I point to my seats. "They've said I can stay with you. Do you mind?"

"Course not." We get their drinks and begin walking. "Dewey, stay with us, you're gonna get lost."

"No, I won't," he says.

"Yes, you will. You always do. You know you could help," Malcolm says, to Reese.

"I'm watching him, he's right over-"

I see that Dewey isn't anywhere nearby and panic, "great job, Reese."

"Oh, shut up, Mary!"

"No, she's right, it's totally your fault. He was right in your eye line," Malcolm shouts, jabbing his finger at his brother. "You don't pay attention to anything."

"I pay attention. Score!" He finds a half eaten hot dog on the ground and eats it.

"What are you doing?" Malcolm asks him.

With his mouth full, Reese says, "too slow."

I grimace, "how are you not dead?"

"Come on," Malcolm sighs, "let's just go find Dewey."

When Reese hovers, I squish his face with my hands, making him spit out the hot dog, and drag him away from it by the wrist, "you're going to poison yourself, you idiot."

"This place sucks. It's hot, it stinks, no one's t-shirts cover their stomachs, and I'm bored out of my mind," Malcolm moans, and I actually agree with his complaints, for once.