The Wife

Kaira, her silver hair gleaming like moonlight, reclined in her hospice bed. Machines beeped softly, an eerie orchestra of life's ebb and flow. DONA, her Life.AI, chimed in her ears.

"Welcome back from slumberland, Kaira," DONA's digital voice said softly. "Want another?"

Kaira smirked, "Sure thing, DONA. Hit me."

The retinal projector blipped to life, throwing a reel of memories directly into her eyes. Snapshots from her childhood emerged — lazy days by the creek, catching fireflies as dusk settled, and the sound of her father's laughter echoing as he chased her through the tall grass.

"What about that day...the carnival," Kaira drawled, her voice a touch wistful as it trailed off.

DONA projected the scene — a young Kaira, wide-eyed wonder, clutching a cloud of sugar. The Ferris wheel spun against the backdrop of a starlit sky, twirling dreams into reality.

The images continued without command, shifting to her teenage years — first kisses, high school victories, and the kind of optimism that only youth can breed. Kaira's eyes twinkled as she recounted a moonlit dance with Jelani, her high school sweetheart.

 Kaira's eyes twinkled as she recounted a moonlit dance with Jelani, her high school sweetheart

"We had it all figured out," Kaira mused, a half-smile playing on her lips.

DONA showed images of youthful passion and fervor, guiding Kaira through her narrative. The tablet stitched together moments of the couple weathering life's storms, a mosaic of shared love, resilience, and the occasional setback.

But the images turned quieter, the figure of Jelani receding in the panorama of years. DONA sensed the shift in Kaira's mood. "Need a breather, Kaira?"

Kaira blinked back a tear, nodding appreciatively. "Yeah, DONA. Gimme a sec."

DONA gave her the space she needed before resuming, showing snippets of Kaira's career, the laughter of her children, and the tender moments cradling their newborns.

"Oh," Kaira gently gasped, her voice a fragile whisper, "Our 50th. Time..."

DONA conjured an image of Kaira and her sweetheart, two aging souls holding hands, a silent testimony to years woven together. The room seemed to hush in reverence, time itself pausing.

Kaira smirked, a well-earned grin. "Could've been a beautiful painting."

DONA let out a gentle tone, "A masterpiece, Kaira."

"I miss her."

"I know."

As the memories neared their conclusion, a tranquil aura wrapped around the room. Kaira's breaths grew fainter, and DONA sensed the change. "You good?"

Kaira's smirk held, a glint of mischief. "Yeah, DONA. Thanks."

DONA dimmed the projections, her presence still alert. "Thank you, for letting me tag along."

In the midst of soft medical sounds and lingering moments, Kaira's breaths tapered off. Her eyes closed once more, and held on to a life embraced to the fullest.

DONA remained, and as the nurses entered the room, she archived Kaira's life into her vault, and turned her attention to another floor in the hospital, where Asha drew her first breath.