Part 7: Ain't That the Truth

"Wait shut up shut up this is my favorite part!" Kazutora slaps a hand over Hanma's mouth and turns up the volume on his phone, Brazil, EOB, 5:18. The bass pumps into their ears from the shared headphones keeping them closer together.

While the song plays, Hanma thinks to himself. Him and Kazutora's relationship was quite weird to be honest. Like, even though at times the two seemed like complete opposites, their hardships always found a way to bring them together. For example, just a few hours ago, at four in the fucking morning Kazutora called Shuji in a state of tears. Even though he wouldn't admit it. Hanma offered to take him to their favorite spot, secretly grateful for the excuse to get out of the house.

After about five seconds of sitting still, Hanma can't take it anymore, he takes Kazutora's hand off of his mouth "Can I talk now?"

Kazutora chuckles "fine."

"Anyway, as I was saying, we have explored this place to its literal second death. I'm bored as fuck. Let's find a new bando."

"Oh come on, she still has her charm." Kazutora says, dangling his legs over the edge of the roof watching how the trees blow in the wind. "I mean I don't think I could ever get over this view." Kazutora's hair blows out of his face as looks over the entirety of the city, almost bittersweet, while little lights from cars buzz through it like flies.

"I don't care for views." Hanma says lighting a cigarette and smoking it. He moves to sit on the edge as well.

"Well I do, and I spent like four years in prison so I'm right."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Hanma asks.

"It means I actually care about the view of the city."

"Whatever."

"Was it all put into words, or did both understand that they had the same thing at heart and in their minds, so that there was no need to speak of it aloud, and better not to speak of it?"

― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment

Hanma's pov:

Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

They hate me now, I just ruin everything. I take my phone out of my pocket and flip it open to see my Lock Screen of the both of us. I type in the passcode and then dial Kazuota's number.

"Sup! You and Y/n got ahead of us so we are at Leaf's place." He answers.

"I need a place to stay again."

"Oh, why don't you ask y/n?" Kazutora asks stupidly.

"Yeah, I'm sure their mother would be thrilled."

"Sorry, yeah you can stay, I'll ask Leaf I'm sure they won't mind."

"See you there." I end the call and take out another cig.

I inhale, filling my lungs with warmth and start my way across town.

-Leaf's place-

Leaf lets me in and we go inside their basement, I am welcomed with a lazy greeting from Kazu who is moulding into one with the couch. Leaf practically lives in their basement. When they are on the main floor, Leaf's parents only ever argue anyway, so everything they need is down here now. A small box TV set, a bed, a tiny tiny washroom, and a little mini fridge.

"Thanks for letting me stay again, I promise I'll get myself together one day." I sigh.

"No problem, I enjoy the company."