Chapter 3: The Reaping

My eyes burst open. Today is the day. My throat hurts, probably from all the screaming yesterday. My throat feels dry and scratchy. My tongue is sandpaper on my palate. All the effects of my tantrum. My feelings. I don't know why I was so worried yesterday, other teenagers will volunteer. I'm fine, I'm safe. I'm not any different than the other Career tributes that want a chance to win. A chance for the crown. If I volunteer, there is almost certainly going to be at least another person willing to take my place, to fight me. Willing to die for a spot, just so they can die in the games. Maybe they would rather die out in the open and in the breeze, then in the district. The lovely, safe district. Or at least in my case. The other Districts, from what I've seen and learnt, are poor and old and dirty and people die everyday of starvation. But honestly, I feel like their days would be full of adventures. They probably wouldn't even stress about their life, because they would be too busy in their work, or gathering food. Their life seems kind of, interesting. Whereas mine, well, mine just consists of drawing and taking care of stupid little children. Now, I don't mind drawing and sketching themes or ideas for the Capitol, but I'm never going to go there, or visit it. Instead, I just stay home running around screaming, shouting and crying about my life. It sucks, I know, and that's why I need to figure out a way to escape. I need to go to the games. It's my only hope for escaping this district. This prison. I wonder if the other districts get go run and be free. I mean, the Capitol basically forgets who they are especially District 12, so it's perfect for no matter what you do. But I'm stuck under rules, and laws. At least I have another chance.

I don't know why I want to go to this exact year. I'm still so young. I don't care. Maybe this year I actually could have a chance. I pop out my legs from underneath my fuzzy blanket, and feel the hot air hit them. I creep on the tiled floors, to my cupboard which. My fingers slide into the cracks and screech open the doors. What should I wear today? If I want to participate in the games, I think I should dress to impress. Make a good impression. If I look well, and act well early on, then I may get many sponsors. My fingers glide amongst the the clothes, until I pass the outfit. Perfect!

A long, pink, flower sarong stands right in front of me. This seem like a great idea. It's hot out, and this will hopefully cool me down, especially since I will be sweating a lot outside. The dress has a slit that ends exactly at my knees. What else should I wear? I peer over near the corner of my wardrobe. A plastic bag hangs there, glitching in the sun light. I walk in front of it and take it down. My hands rip open the knot of the bag, and I look down. A short sleeve raglan shirt sits at the bottom of the bag. It's light brown, with dark brown on the sleeves and near the collar. This is it. This is what I want to wear.

After I get dressed in my outfit, I slide on my black sneakers and head to the kitchen. Of course, my mum isn't there. She's probably helping set up the stage or something.